Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just started re-photographing my gun collection (meager that it is). I decided to do that because most of my pics are of guns that I no longer have, and a lot of the pics weren't that good to begin with..

So, I'm going to bore you guys for a while! I'll post them as I get them done.

For now though, I have a 'which is better' question. By accident, I left a light on that I normally wouldn't have on. With blue guns, it's really distracting. But with nickel.. well, you decide which is better.

By the way, the subject (this time) is my Model 57, circa 1971.

photo A:

photo B:

·
Super Moderator
8,958 Posts
If B didn't have that gold hue I would like it better, but as they are I would pick A.

·
Administrator
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gold hue is from the light I accidentally left on..

·
Registered
10,518 Posts
Carl, I'm bored, please send more pics! :mrgreen:

·
Administrator
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Y'know, I kinda like the accents too. Now if I can just diffuse that light a little.. just a little..

I guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow! nfiofnp

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Carl,
You can hold or suspend a piece of white printer paper, so the nickle on the revolver reflects the white of the paper. You need to look thru the camera from your chosen camera position for the shot, to get the angle of incidence correct. This will give you a color balanced fill for the darker areas, although the yellow highlight is most interestting, especially with the warm tone of the nickle finish.
If you wanted to keep the highlight, but lessen the cast (yellow), you could use a blue correction filter from a commercial/studio lighting vendor. Place this filter between the yellow bulb and the subject, close as possible to the light source.
Just a friendly hint!
Mike
P.S. I like "A", it has more shape. those contrasting tones show off the flutes and other "eyesome" details.

·
Administrator
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike,
Thanks, I appreciate the tips. I'm learning as I go and appreciate any and all constructive criticism.

Also, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Carl
I wouldn't delete either of them. B is unique and looks great and A looks nice also.
I have played with photography for years and often times my best or more interesting photos are those in which I make a slight mistake or don't even realize it's potential when I am actually taking it.
Do I remember correctly that you just recently bought or built the light box?

·
Administrator
8,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
msm,
You are correct! I very recently built a light box, and am now experimenting.

Proof positive that people do actually read my posts.. I may have to post more often! nbhaof

·
Registered
828 Posts
Keeping in mind that I am not a photographer (anyone who has seen my photos knows that), I think that if you eliminated the gold highlights B would be better than A.

David

·
Registered
592 Posts
I prefer A. I like the contrasting light and dark. The gold/yellow in B is odd, IMO. Although were it not for the extra color B does seem to show more detail of the gun.
Anyway I take the cruddiest gun pics ever so don't listen to me. :D

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hmmm. Difficult decision. I'd like you to send me the pistol so I can inspect it for a few years.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Carl, Nice work
Both pix are nice. As to which one is better for me it's a toss up. I have built a few light box setups for photo work. I will build another one for handguns. Practice makes perfect keep snapping away. Change you lighting positions. Use reflector cards they do help. Next week I need to stop by the office supply and pick up the materials to build a new light box. Then I'll post some pix.
Jim

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey Carl ,
Well I`m with Don , I like A too . Great job thou !!

I`m also with John as well , send me the gun up and I`ll shoot it .... I mean shoot some pics !! :lol:

You`ll never bore us buddy , keep posting !!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I prefer A.....the extra light accents on B are distracting to me....

thanks for the idea.....I need to set up a light box too

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Carl, for what it's worth, the gold accents on phot "b" give it a rustic, sunset (or sunrise) feel. I like it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts