Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I went to Herkimer today to visit a friend recovering from an injury. I took him to lunch and then he showed me the town. He said, want to visit Remington's factory? Sure I said.

This is the entry to the museum and store.

Inside, to the right, is a wonderful museum collection of all things Remington. A woman at a front desk asked if we wanted a tour of the factory. I was reluctant at first, as she said it takes about 1 and 1/2 hrs. I had a doctor's apt later, but she said they would customize a shorter tour for me. At the gift shop, just through the museum, Kristen and another man were attending the empty shop. She was wonderful. She said she would accomodate my schedule just fine. It was a private tour only because no one else was there. She said it was unusual.
The tour was just great. I really enjoyed seeing the old building, mixed with state of the art tools.
Sorry, no pictures allowed on the tour.
I learned a great deal from our tour host. It was really a treat seeing the custom area and the one engraver, I think his name was Bob. He has been there 30 + years. He does great work. The assembly area was cool as well. The auto shotguns are built one at a time. The 870s have an assembly line of sorts. All very interesting.

It was interesting to see Harrington and Richardson are now Remington. Their areas were neat as well. I saw some of the contract barrels for Bushmaster there as well.

All in all, it was a great tour. One I'll come back for later with more time, whether "private" or not.

· Registered
786 Posts
IIRC, it is between Herkimer and Cooperstown, right? I used to have a job driving, and my route took me right by the factory every day, but I can't remember where on the route it was! :roll:

Thanks for posting!

· Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. The factory is in Ilion NY. It is just about 5 minutes west of Herkimer. Use the Herkimer, exit 30 I think, off the thruway. You can save the toll if you take the more senic Route 5. I don't know what roads got me there, but the factory is very large and visible if you approach from on the eastbound part of the Tway. It has a huge american flag on the front. The museum and store entrance is on the east side of the factory.
BobK, I think this is the only one making guns. I asked if the Remington knives were made there. She said they were made in one of the Carolinas. That meant US made to me.
It was a great tour. After Ilion, go west and take a tour of the Utica Club Brewery in Utica. Another great factory tour in the area. The tasting room is cool too.

· Registered
20,374 Posts
Thanks DD and 150, I've seen the S&W plant, but Remington would be a good one too! Too bad that Winchester is no more. :( My wife has lots of vacation time to burn this fall. We will head out there, later this fall, sometime. Summer is the busiest time of year for her......she's in the sports travel industry.....particularly baseball. :roll: Bob

· Registered
2,167 Posts
Remington is my favorite rifle and shotgun maker. I would love to tour the factory. I used to drive truck long haul and could have but it was a long time ago. The Idea never came to me even though I spent a lot of time in new york I would die and go to hell before I would get behind the wheel of a big truck again.So chances are I will never see the factory. I blew my chance like I blew my chance to hunt red stag in germany when I was in the army over there.

· Registered
11 Posts
Hello
When two of us went to the first S&W 1857 club we stopped for the nite at Herkimer
the next morning we went to the Remington Museum. Is was one the best things we did
on that trip well worth the Stop.
dick44

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.