Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally laid the credit card down and ordered the first of the two books, by Mark Baker. Had them priority mail it to me and should receive it by Saturday. Don't expect alot of posts from me next week ;)

This is part of a two volume set and follows his journeys over a 20 year period of learning and living as a Colonial Woodsman. You learn from his mistakes and reap the benefits of his tireless research into the culture and lives of the long hunters.

Mark Baker was the historian and researcher that had a major part in the filming of "The Last of the Mohicans". His story is more or less one of not just researching the rich history, but actually living it. I've read many of his articles over the years, and so have much anticipation in receiving the first of his two book set... :)

giz

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Giz,
That kind of writing will make it even more apparent just how 'easy' life is today.
Sounds like some good reading ahead.
Don
;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don,

Looking forward to the read. From what other folks tell me, the first book is mostly about period correct gear and making much of it yourself. From there it is a great resource on trekking, something that I'm very interested in...

He's been a regular contributer to Muzzleloading magazine and many folks subscribe just because of that fact. Ordered my copy directly from the folks that publish that magazine, instead of a discount house. Like to know that money goes directly to the folks that support the ML community.

giz

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Giz, given your interst in the past, et al, have you taken a look at any of the Foxfire books?

I find that whole pre-20th century period fascinating, too, which is why I was as happy as a pig in slop when we spent an entire week at Williamsburg a couple of years ago.

FWIW to those who haven't had the chance: If you can, by all means treat yourself to the opportunity to handle, heft and work with any tools from the pre-power-tool era.

I was blessed enough to inherit quite a few tools from my wife's grandfather. The family had been ranchers in the central coast area of California, and a lot of the tools predated the 20th century (understand that the missus and I are both 66 this year, so it was vintage stuff.)
The real joy is in working with such tools. Prior to the power-tool era, tools weren't necessarily cheap, but they were made by, and for, people who worked things by hand. Among other things, the balance and heft are a real revelation!

Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bill,

Just got the book on Friday..have to say it is simply amazing. Starts out in the 1980's with Mark Baker doing primary document research and then applying it to the field. It basically becomes his life's work and he takes you on a journey of discovery. It is a compilation of a series of articles he wrote for Muzzleloader magazine. I can see why he has such a devoted following. Anyrate, it is a excellent read that covers a wide range of subjects. I'll prolly order the next book long before I finish this one.

The Foxfire Books need to be a part of my library. Think I'll cruise the used book shops and see if I can't find a few of the editions there. Great suggestion, thanks...

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I have the Foxfire series, and they are a great look back on life in the early time of the pioneers of our country.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leighton,

Think that You and perhaps Xtm...would especially like Mark Baker's books...

I can't read much more then a article or two before I am going into overload.... ;)

giz

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Gizamo said:
Leighton,

Think that You and perhaps Xtm...would especially like Mark Baker's books...

I can't read much more then a article or two before I am going into overload.... ;)

giz
More like relaxed enough to take a nap and dream. When I'm stressed a good book will calm me down, If I'm already relaxed, after a few chapters its time to take a snooze. I will look for his, just might be my new nap book!!!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
When I'm stressed a good book will calm me down, If I'm already relaxed, after a few chapters its time to take a snooze.
+1.

Also, since I read almost entirely history and other nonfiction, I always learn something new!

Bill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts