Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19,370 Posts
Had one years ago with the power cross feed. They are very limited in the scope of what they can do and rigidity is also an issue. More of a toy than a real metalworking machine but they will handle aluminum alloy no issue. The were imported by American Edestall (I think) from Europe. You can still pick up accessories on flea bay for them. They actually make a better sensitive drill press than a lathe.

If you really want to get into metalworking, pick yourself up a surplus (as in vocational school sale), D1-3 or 4 camlock spindle engine lathe. You can find them in darn good condition for a couple hundred bucks tooled. I bought a Dashin Prince (ISO Spec), floor lathe, 16 x 60, D1 camlock spindle with a collet closer, 3 jaw, 4 jaw and 6 jaw chucks, faceplates, steady and follower rests and quick change cam lock toolpost for 500 bucks and was very lightly used. Only problem is, it won't fit in a wood box. You need a rigger to move it and a way to haul it home and it's 220 3 phase too.

You can get WW2 South Bend floor lathes for a song too but they will be beat on and have plain bearing headstocks so will need new babbit bearings poured. I have one. I spent 4 years restoring it and it isn't worth 1/10th of what i have in it.

Best bet is a Chinese lathe in the 16 to 18" swing range with at least a 5 foot bed and flame hardened bedways.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A good friend has a shop one mile from my house and I have use of his lathe, Bridgeport, press brake, burn table, Piranha, etc and I also have a 4" Craftsman lathe from the 50s at home. I bought this for some really small aluminum pieces that I want to make.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts