Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No. I’m not in the wrong place. .
Picked up a Buffalo No. 15 bench drill press. Picks to come later. It’s gonna be a project.

I also picked up a heavy Kurt machinist vice to use with it.

·
Premium Member
11,463 Posts
Where's the trigger?

·
Registered
17,466 Posts
Just needs a little TLC and will keep on working. Can't beat the older tools.

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
Congrats. A hefty tool indeed. Should be a fun project that hopefully will not take too long. Can't wait to see the finished product.:cool:

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
That is one heavy duty piece of machinery. It's a good thing to give it a new life.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[quote author="@pgg00" source="/post/260602/thread" timestamp="1589783102"]I like seeing old tools going back to work[/quote]

Well, we’re a little way from back to work but at least it’s starting to go back together.

I still have several things to sort out to fix past bad decisions. The motor isn’t original and the bracket has no north/south adjustment. It sits too high. They decided the way to deal with that was to raise the front pulley the needed amount but that left one of the two bearings in the front pulley floating above the top of the head casting.

I have the replacement bearings on the way. I need to figure a fix for the motor height, and I need to find a pulley for the motor.

Oh, and the milling vice I bought is WAAAYYYY too big. 😃

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
Looks like the project is coming together well, thanks for the update.:cool:

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Progress has been slow on the drill because, well, life. I did notice the spindle had a little ridge on the bottom edge of it. I filed that down, polished it up and reinstalled the chuck. Runs smooth as a top. I got it re-wired and added a fused switch to protect the motor. The only thing left is a new stepped pulley. That’s supposed to be on it’s way.

I’ve also picked up a couple of old Craftsman middle boxes for extra tool storage.

and I love these old card catalog type cabinets. I’ve found five of them recently. Using a couple on my reloading bench and a couple here.

Also have found a couple really nice old grinders. This Foley Belsaw unit was originally for sharpening circular saws. I just cleaned it up and I have it setup with a fine and course grinding wheel.

And just today I ran across this new project. It’s getting a cleanup and paint job. This Baldor is gonna replace a cheap Chinese unit for wire brushing and course polishing.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You can probably do without it but shouldn't you have another stairstep pulley on the motor? Might need a long shaft motor to do that.

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can probably do without it but shouldn't you have another stairstep pulley on the motor? Might need a long shaft motor to do that.
Yes. It’s on the way. Should have it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
My Dad had one of those, or something very similar. In the course of 4-5 moves it got away. Wish I still had it. Hank

1 - 16 of 16 Posts