Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How's about a change from all the gloom and doom of late?
I've been looking for something a little lighter to take deer hunting next fall. I like to still hunt but am getting older and found last fall that having a lighter rifle would be a good thing. The old family standby, a Winchester made, sporterized P17 30-06 tips the scales at a little over 10 lbs! :eek: That's OK for a sit, or short hunt, but as an all day carry, well... I'm showing my age. :D
So I decided to look for something a little lighter. As my forum name implies, I tend to be old fashioned, so walnut and blue were my guidelines, along with a medium length bolt action.
Came up with this...

20200320_105341[1001].jpg

Bought it at a Gettysburg gun auction last week. It came without the scope or mounts.

20200320_105403[1003].jpg

Ruger M 77 Mk II ulltralight with the black recoil pad. Auction had it listed as a Compact. Because of the caliber, I paid a little more than planned.

20200320_105426[1005].jpg

20" barrel, hinged floor plate, three position safety. And I've always had a hankering for a 257 Roberts. Been assembling reloading components and only need a set of dies, which I expect to win on Ebay tonight. Oh, and by the way, with the scope it tips the scales at around 7 1/2 lbs. Could put a smaller scope on it but, as is, it should be a dandy replacement for the old '17 rig.

John

·
Banned
917 Posts
I've got an old M77 MK II, with the composite "Canoe Paddle" stock. It's my walking hunt go to, dead nuts accurate. Loaded, with the scope, it comes in at just over 6 pounds.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Thats a beauty. Congrats on the new rifle. I think you'll like that scope too.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
I went with a CZ USA 527 CARBINE, 7.62x39mm to lighten the load.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Good choice....I like the 257 Roberts as well.......

Lightened my load with a Kimber 275 Rob. to 6 3/4 lbs including Leupold scope.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey John,

That .257 should be just the ticket!

Good for you!

Later, Mark

Reactions: timetripper

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I went with a CZ USA 527 CARBINE, 7.62x39mm to lighten the load.
Passed on a nice CZ 550 in 6.5 x 55 two weeks before. Beautiful rifle in a caliber that I like. But it was a little on the heavy side and went for more than I was willing to pay. But the fun was in the hunt!
Can't wait to get the Roberts to the range. I suspect the light barrel is going to make sighting in a little tedious.

John

Reactions: spud_.308

·
Super Moderator
19,363 Posts
Awesome. I have a Ruger 77 in 22 Hornet. It's a tackdriver. You should like the .257 Roberts. Flat and fast, and a big enough bullet for most medium size game.
Enjoy it in good health, and good luck on the eBay bidding.

Reactions: timetripper

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Won the loading dies. I was the only bidder!:)
Wish I could've said the same after bidding on the rifle!

John

Reactions: BonitaBob

·
Premium Member
2,818 Posts
Very nice... I too have a sporterized P-17 (a Remington) that I've put into retirement due to it's weight, and it's chambering.. the .30 Gibbs wildcat round. The rifle was given to me by my step-Dad just before he died.

In the early 60's he made the stock from a slab of Oregon Myrtlewood, after the action was sent to Rocky Gibbs in Idaho for the conversion from .30-06 to .30 Gibbs.

I'm a traditionalist and looking to get something in a classic round, like the .243 Winchester.

RH P17 Rem.JPG

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Oh My a .257 Roberts One of my all time favorite rifle's for deer. Great pick up in the Ruger M-77 MkII

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
My light weight rifle is a Tikka T3 lite in 338 Federal I bought it for a Elk hunt that I had scheduled figured this flat lander needed all the help I could get when going into the mountains

1 - 15 of 15 Posts