Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone following model 27 prices knows they have skyrocketed over the past 6 or 7 years, especially on the 3.5 and 5 inch models. A 3.5" model 27 is my grail gun. I don't want a safe queen, or a no finish truck gun, but somewhere in between would be nice.
What would you expect to pay for a 4 screw, S prefix, 3.5" M27. Overall decent finish with wear at end of barrel and high points. There is a trashy spot on the cylinder , maybe fine sized from what appears to be holster storage and it's wearing aftermarket wood grips. Seller says great trigger and locks up like a bank vault. No rush or pitting, nice bore.
The book values a 4 screw at about 25% above a 3 screw across the board and also mentions a premium for the 3.5 inch barrel.
Does that sound like an $800-900 revolver? Once you hit the 93% original finish or more on these they seem to hit $1200-1500 quick

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
If you really want to cry, look up prices of 5 screw pre 27's in those barrel lengths. :shock:

Reactions: Oldgungeezer

·
Registered
203 Posts
I picked up a very nice 27-2, early (5 digit) N-prefix, late last year for $1300. I considered that to be a pretty darn good deal.

Similar condition (but without box, and with Magna grips) to this one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859273821

While the gun you linked may end up selling for a little less, if it's your grail gun, the cylinder blemish is always going to bother you. And it would cost at least $100-200 to get a proper set of original stocks, so factor that in as well.

Personally, I would hold out a for a little nicer example, like the one I linked. That one would be a nice score if it can be had for under $1500-1600...

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up a very nice 27-2, early (5 digit) N-prefix, late last year for $1300. I considered that to be a pretty darn good deal.

Similar condition (but without box, and with Magna grips) to this one: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859273821

While the gun you linked may end up selling for a little less, if it's your grail gun, the cylinder blemish is always going to bother you. And it would cost at least $100-200 to get a proper set of original stocks, so factor that in as well.

Personally, I would hold out a for a little nicer example, like the one I linked. That one would be a nice score if it can be had for under $1500-1600...
I saw that one and its very nice. I am going to shoot the snot out of whatever I get and that one is just too nice. Not to mention there is no way I can come up with $1400 for a gun. Just put a couple kids through college which leaves very little. Also, I don't particularly care if it has period correct stocks since I'm going to shoot it, and neither S&W targets nor magnas are my favorites

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Let’s preface this by saying I am not a 357 fan. However, $800 for a 3 1/2” Model 27 is certainly reasonable. I saw that pitting on the cylinder. Nasty, but adds character to a shooter. A couple years ago, I would have gone for that to convert it to ACP.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Vern I understand the desire for a Model 27 but for way less money you can buy the same gun in .44 or .41 and get the same shooting experience. I have compromised in the past and been very pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed the gun that wasn't exactly what I had planned on. But then I did spend a pile of $ to buy my pre Model 29 and I love shooting it. I will say that "shooter grade" never bothers me. When you're looking down the sights you can't see the gun : )

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
Well the seller doesn't take CC so that eliminates him for me. When I'm shopping on the web I only use my CC. Looks like a nice one Jonsey maybe you can get it for $850 or less. If I was going to bid I would bid $850 as my max bid.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Just looked at the auction Vern. Those grips look like they may be Sandersons. If they are they could help you recoup $100 or $150 of your investment. I also think you could polish up that cylinder and hit it with some cold blue and hardly notice it. I think that I would bid $905.55 and hope for the best. Good luck.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
12,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think that was a pretty fair price. On GB you always have to remember shipping and transfer fees.
I think that was a very fair price. My thoughts were (or guess was) that it would probably go for between $850 and $900 when shipping and a transfer are included. Shipping was $50 and a transfer runs about $25 around here, so it would have ended for a total of $880. That's about the condition and price range I will be looking for. I did like that the one that just sold was a no dash, 4 screw. Those seem to be less common than the dash 2's

1 - 14 of 14 Posts