Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about steel tumbling pins. I want to age some glass to make it look like glass scoured by the sea.

I have a large Lyman turbo vibratory tumbler. Do you need a rotary tumbler for steel pins?

How much should I order: In pounds I guess for this tumbler?

Would coarse concrete sand do better?

I do want to use the pins, if possible, to do a 5 gallon bucket of .223 brass. I've just used walnut shells and corncobs in the past. Prefer the walnut, mostly.

I welcome your thoughts.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey ST,

Steel Pins go in a wet tumbler.

I would just use some sand (they will give ya a bucket down the Concrete Plant). Try for 1/2 hr. Check for result.

Later, Mark

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Or wet sand. After all, you are trying to mimic the motion of the ocean. Many hours spent beach combing as a kid. We had pails full of sea glass as we called it. Blues and reds were the hardest to find.

·
Super Moderator
19,366 Posts
What size steel pins should we use? I was given 10 Lbs of them when somebody I know bought a super size tumbler. They got the pins for free when they bought the tumbler. Normally the company selling these tumblers is selling them to large consumers of ammo casings, and they advertise the tumblers for that purpose. The pins I have are around 1/2" long and maybe 1.5 mm in diameter.

The company tumbles molded parts they produce to remove the seam flash from the molding process. They can only use corn cob media because it's biodegradable and they can rinse the parts off easily. The corn cob works perfectly for that need.

Reactions: msharley

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Honestly I don’t know the actual size of the pins. A quick check on Frankford Arsenal shows 2 or 5lb. packages. I use the 5 lb version in my tumbler of the same make.

·
Registered
458 Posts
You can use the steel pins dry some jewelry makers do , The amount of pins is dependent on the amount of material you are tumbler. if the glass is flat you will be better off using sand or small aquarium gravel. A sand blaster would get er done faster. The tumbler will give more of rounded edges. A vibrating tiumbler and the pins work well for more delicate silver and gold filigree jewelry time to remove the flash. besides the rotary tumbler may be to fast of tumbling speed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts