Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a dear friend that has a Model 66-2 with a 2-1/2" barrel in mint unfired condition.
She has the original box, papers and cleaning kit complete unused and the gun is pristine mint condition. It has never been fired and in a gun safe since the day it was purchased.
I'm asking so I can get a realistic value for her in case she decides to sell it.
She has many more handguns, rifles and shotguns and I may be buying a few of them from her. Many of the others will be sold soon and I will be figuring out her pricing for most of them. I can handle nearly everything she has, but something like this 66 really stands out as something special and I can use your help here.
I won't be buying the Model 66 since I already have one, but when she decides to sell it she won't get screwed by somebody wanting to take advantage by her lack of knowledge of the guns she has.
I sure hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Makes perfect sense.

I would say that if the 66 is a -1, -2, -3 and is truely unfired, mint, complete and as new in box, it should have a "Cabela's Retail" price of around $600. Real World Retail would be around $525. Wholesale to a shop will probably only net around $400.

If the gun has been fired, or has any "awsh*ts" including box rub or handling marks, subtract 30%.

Drew

·
Registered
273 Posts
Sebago is spot on. I passed on one at a gun show priced at 550, it was not perfect. finish was off just a bit and aftermarket grips. It was a 450 retail gun. If something is just right 550 to 600 would be the retail around here.

Boats

·
Registered
273 Posts
Personaly I would rather have the 30% than the box. Boxes get my goat, have a stack of boxes can't throw away since they bost the value of the gun. Like Smiths don't care much about cardboard.

But that's the way it is

Boats

·
Super Moderator
20,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well here is the real rub. This story is almost embarassing!

The brand new gun I thought we had was supposed to be in her safe.
We opened the safe yesterday and the brand new Model 66 was not in there.
I had a box for a brand new revolver and assumed the new 66 was in the safe, and I was wrong.

I did find a Model 66 that I was looking for.
The gun I found was in a handbag in my lady friends closet.
It's not even close to new after all. It was bought used as a replacement.
After seeing the used revolver she remembered what happened to the new one. I also found the sales receipt on this one. The one we have, was bought to replace the new model 66 that was stolen. That's how have a box with all the papers and a used gun.

The original brand new model 66 was stolen out of her late husbands airplane.
The thief got the brand new gun, but the box and papers were at home in the bedroom closet. Her husband went right out after the one was swipped, and bought another model 66 of the same size.
So we now have a new gun box with an used Model 66.
Altogether it's in pretty darned good shape, but certainly not new like I was hoping for.
Interesting story, but not what I was looking or asking for.

Thanks for the responses though.
I guess if I ever have a new Model 66 I'll know what it's worth. - GQ

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.