Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mdl 37 airweight flatlatch revolver in Nickel I took it out of the safe to check it give it a wipe down and put it away. I noticed that there is a little bit of fogging is what I am calling it at the top of the stocks by the emblem and in between the trigger and the cylinder on the frame I only have 2 revolvers in nickel the other is a 12-3 that is in VG condition..... What is this fogging, how do I stop it, can it be polished out without damage the wipe down did not clear it up pic is attched it may be hard to see with this phone camera and the nickel reflection of the light

Attachments

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
How are you storing it? Oil? What kind. Wax?
The fogging can be removed with Flitz , a microfiber cloth and a soft touch.
I keep my nickel guns with a light coating of Break Free on them. Beware of ammonia based cleaners (most are)- Nickel doesn't like ammonia. If you're using #9 or the like, get the cleaner completely off and wipe down with oil.
Best to remove the stocks for cleaning.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just in a rug I use a little bit of frog lube in the right places and wipe them down with the green micro fiber cloth you see I the pic or silicone gun cloth which is what I use p my blue revolvers

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I'd skip the silicone and just use a preservative oil on the cloth.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will get some flitz and see if can polish it out ? What does wax have to do with storage are you talking like turtlewax car wax ???????

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Being ex military I have brasso is that the same as flitz I use mother's mag polish on my stainless without issue

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Rather than using a coating of oil on the finish, a lot of people use a preservative wax like Renaissance Wax-
It's not a car wax which is an abrasive but a pure wax. Goes on the same way though. wax on/wax off.
brownells carries it.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
NO BRASSO. EEK!
Get Flitz or Mother Mag Polish. Do it by hand, no buffing wheel- that'll strip the plating right off.

Reactions: wirenut and jeepnut

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Mother's will work on nickel too. Wax to finish will keep the nickel bright.
Light touch and patience are the way to go.

Reactions: wirenut

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I use Mothers Mag Polish on all of my firearms and it is not abrasive as some think.
This is the result, all bought new in the 70's and they still look good.

Reactions: Wiregrassguy
1 - 15 of 15 Posts