Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Chiefly... to match the frame shape/size, except in a lightweight model, what .357 revolver (any brand), would be exactly comparable to the Smith & Wesson Model 15-3 .38 Spl. 2" barrel?nvonjvila

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Hey Irish,

Easy! The M-19 or M-66!

Hope this helps!

Later, Mark

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Hey Irish,

Easy! The M-19 or M-66!

Hope this helps!

Later, Mark
EXCEPT for the fact that he specified LIGHTWEIGHT and both of those are all steel guns and therefore NOT lightweight.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I don't think anyone has made an alloy, K frame size revolver in 357
Actually S&W made the Model 386 Night Guard aluminum frame and scandium cylinder revolver in 357. But they only made them a short time IIRC - making them both hard to find and expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,542 Posts
The closest thing that I know of to a Model 15, is a Model 19. Rather that's as light as you want or not, only you can tell. I've owned both over the years and the Model 15 does feel and handle "lighter." The scales say it's not much, but the feel is totally different. The Model 15 has a tapered barrel, a lighter rib, and a shorter cylinder. The Model 19 has a no taper barrel, heavier rib, and a longer cylinder. Also the 19 usually has target grips, vs the Magna's found on most Model 15's. Those things don't sound like a lot of weight, but they do add up, especially since most of the difference is toward the muzzle giving the gun a totally different feel. Not bad...just different.

The same applies to the Model 24 (44 Special) and the Model 29 (44 Magnum) just scaled up.

·
Registered
22,056 Posts
When looking for a nice EDC in .357 I was fortunate to find this little beauty. Perfect for CC and packs a punch when you need it!:cool:

20190422_193941.jpg 66-2

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
EXCEPT for the fact that he specified LIGHTWEIGHT and both of those are all steel guns and therefore NOT lightweight.
Can't please everyone.... nfiofnpnfiofnpnjgapjgj

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
I only have a M-66-1 2 1/2" .357 Mag, and I wouldn't want to go lighter than that. I use Med. Vel. 158 Gr. JSP or JHP .357 ammo, and that gives a healthy kick, but is not uncomfortable. It weighs about 36 ozs (which is the same as a M-15)......which is as light as I would go. Lighter means heavier recoil. ;) Bob

·
Registered
10,920 Posts
^^ yup, what Bob said. Lightweight and .357 Magnum are a matter of perspective and personal preference. I have no problem carrying the 2 1/2" 19-3 all day. A great holster and belt is what makes it doable. I also have no problem with the ( Forgive me St. John Moses Browning for my failings) Glock 19. In years past, while traipsing through the desert, a Model 28 was carried, again with a great holster and belt, a Cyclone 111 and a belt made by a long past fellow from Buckeye Az.

·
Registered
111 Posts
a lightweight .357mag? is that an oxymoron or what? i don't see a need for that kinda recoil suffering, but to each their own.

for EDC and me, it's a 642 with proven plenty potent .38spl hand loads.

ymmv, as does mine.

·
Registered
319 Posts
The closest thing that I know of to a Model 15, is a Model 19. Rather that's as light as you want or not, only you can tell. I've owned both over the years and the Model 15 does feel and handle "lighter." The scales say it's not much, but the feel is totally different. The Model 15 has a tapered barrel, a lighter rib, and a shorter cylinder. The Model 19 has a no taper barrel, heavier rib, and a longer cylinder. Also the 19 usually has target grips, vs the Magna's found on most Model 15's. Those things don't sound like a lot of weight, but they do add up, especially since most of the difference is toward the muzzle giving the gun a totally different feel. Not bad...just different.

The same applies to the Model 24 (44 Special) and the Model 29 (44 Magnum) just scaled up.
One small correction, The 2.5" M19/66 came with Magnas, not target grips, same as the M15

·
Registered
17,468 Posts
I have several lighter snub nose for carry from A&W and Colt in 38 Special and +P. With the advanced bullet designs now 38 Special can hold its own and much easier than the 357 mag for self defense in possible close quarters. Have my 357s for hikes in the woods or hunting trips.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
S&W made lightweight J & L frame .357's w/ scandium frames. Nice & light to carry but the J frames are wrist-wreckers that will wind you up like a windmill. Most people end up shooting .38's in them.

·
Registered
19,777 Posts
One problem that I have with a J frame....is the horrendous trigger. My wife loves the small size....it fits her small hands.......but she no longer has the strength in her hands (at age 64) to pull the trigger DA. (I cut off the hammer spur so it won't 'hang up' in my shirt, drawing from an IWB holster.) I now use a Ruger LC9s that doesn't have that problem)

She can actually handle the trigger much better on my K frames. Which are known for having a great trigger....plus I changed springs and shoot it a lot, so it's smooth, and light. ;) Bob

·
Registered
6,555 Posts
I owned a 386PD for a time. First, review Geezer's comment. Second, in this case it was a seven shooter which required an N frame holster. I find a 3 inch 65 with the newer Houge S&W logo RB grips works well with .357 loads. Of course it is not lightweight.

OTOH I also once owned a 60-10 that wore Herret's RB/SB grips. Although steel and a five banger the weight difference happens. Generous grips are out there. So food for thought......

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I owned a 386PD for a time. First, review Geezer's comment. Second, in this case it was a seven shooter which required an N frame holster. I find a 3 inch 65 with the newer Houge S&W logo RB grips works well with .357 loads. Of course it is not lightweight.

OTOH I also once owned a 60-10 that wore Herret's RB/SB grips. Although steel and a five banger the weight difference happens. Generous grips are out there. So food for thought......
So far the 360 or 360 PD might do... nvonjvila

1 - 20 of 42 Posts