Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at an 870 in 20 ga today. It was used and priced at $219.00. It looked like a good 870. Is that price in line? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
YUP! I would buy it! If you don't let me know were it is and I will.

Hope this helps! ihjf

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I used to buy alot of used, PD 12 gauge 870 Riot Guns in the $125-150 range.... those days are sure gone. I think that Wingmasters got caught up in the recent Black Gun Price Surge because the last good 870 - 12 I saw for sale was $350.

I think that if you can live with the medium bore 20, then the price is pretty fair.... especailly if the gun is a Walnut Stocked, Polished Finish gun.

Birch stocked 20's in the matt finish? well, then not so much but still an okay price.

Drew

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I just looked at a 870 in 20 gauge with a friend at walmart a few days ago for 239 brand new. But it was the cheap stock black matt el cheapo version.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to get the 870. I thank everyone who responded. Especially you Dave, at the crack of dawn. :D

Then a funny thing happened to me. It has actually happened before. I stopped at another gun shop to look at used .22s. As I was looking, I found an 870 in better condition. It was a 20 gauge as well. It was also 19 dollars less after haggling.

They are both birch with matte finish, but I am happy with them. I'll keep one and give my dad the other. He wanted a 20 gauge single shot for varmints on the farm. I don't think he'll mind being upgraded.

One question though. Why is the top safety different? Is there a lock on the safety button?

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
Though the 870 Express shotgun is a cheapened model, without the walnut stock and nice finish, it is still a good, dependable, well made shotgun. If you want a shotgun for HD or hunting, it's just as good as the fancy model!

I do prefer the looks of a nice 870 Wingmaster. But, for field use, the cheaper Express model is all the shotgun that I need. That said.......I'll stick with my old Ithaca 37 20 ga.! It's all that I need. ;) Bob

·
Registered
19,790 Posts
If I was out for a new shotgun, and couldn't find a nice one used, I would probably buy a 20ga Remington 870 Express at WALMART. It's the best deal around here. They usually have specials on 2 barrel 870 Express during the fall. The most bang.....for the buck!!!! ;) Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts