Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this week off from work to deer hunt, but since I tagged out 2 hours into the season I've got some time on my hands. This morning I dropped my youngest son off at pre-school (a rare treat for me since I usually am working when he goes to school) and I headed for the range. I had three hours to kill at the range before I needed to be back to the pre-school. I can't tell you the last time I spent three hours at the range. kfjdrfirii

Anyway I had just set my targets out at the 50 and 100 yard ranges and was uncasing my Marlin 1895GS and my Marlin 1894S in .41 when two police cruisers came rolling in. It turns out there were three officers that needed to qualify this morning. I was at the rifle range so there was no issue. I had been shooting about 20 minutes when I heard yelling. Because I double up on the ear protection, I could hear what the yelling was about but it made me sit up and pay attention. As I removed my muffs I could hear the yelling was coming from the pistol birm. It was the police practicing drills. I had to chuckle as several times after that, I was just getting ready to squeeze the trigger when I would hear things like, "Police! Drop the weapon! BANG, BANG, BANG" or "He's got a gun! BANG, BANG, BANG." Ironic I thought.

As for the shooting, I shot the 1894 with 2 different loads at 50 yards. This gun has been picky about what it likes. So far it seems to shoot best with a 210 gr. Hornady XTP and 9.9 gr. Unique. I did try my new 2400 load using 16.8 gr. and a 200 gr. Speer half jacketed HP. The Marlin did okay with the new load, but not as good as the XTPs and feeding was not as smooth either. My next step will be to load some XTPs using 2400 and see how that goes.

My Marlin 1895GS is one of my favorites. I shot my hunting load of 45.0gr. IMR 3031 and a Speer 400gr. FP at the 100 yard range. This load at 50 yards will shoot a one ragged hole, three shot group but I wanted to see what it would do at 100 yards. Now, I had sighted this load in to be ~ 2" high at 50 and it was spot on at 100. The real fun came when I shot a factory duplication load using a 405gr. Remington SP and 38.5 gr. of 3031. Here's one of my targets:

The first two shots are the ones at 7:00 in the white while shooting at center mass. The next 4 shots where taken using a little "Kentucky Windage." It's tough to tell from the photo, but this load prints about 3-4" low at 100 yards. But...it was a hoot to shoot and try to lob them in.

After a very relaxing couple of hours at the rifle range I casually beat feet over to the pistol birm as soon as the cruisers were out of sight and proceeded to pick up nearly 250 pieces of Federal .45 brass. kfjdrfirii All in all a great morning!

·
Super Moderator
8,955 Posts
A fun day and free brass, can't beat that!!

G

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a pretty good day. I haven't been to the club for about 5 weeks now, been too busy hunting. Nice that they didn't Police their own brass. Guess the rules don't apply to them at a private range. My favorite is when they do drills farther back then allowed and shoot between the two covered metal enclosures we have, 3/4's of the way back to the parking lot. :evil:

hmmmmm, so you've got a week off to hunt still. Those marlins ought to raise hell with the grey squirrels that are still in season... :mrgreen:

giz

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bobw said:
So what kind of velocity you getting with the 45-70 loads? I loaded some 405 Remingtons with 51.5 grs 3031 in my repro 1886 Win Lite Rifle and they are fully capable of killing on both ends :twisted: . bobw
Bob, I don't have a Chrony yet but one is on my Christmas list. :) Anyway, I can tell you that one day a gentleman let me shoot through his. That day I was using 46.0gr. of 3031 and the 400 (essentially the same bullet as the 405) and that was clocked at 1522 fps out of my 18.5" Guide Gun. I'm not sure I'd be interested in shooting 51.5 gr. of 3031, especially in a 1886. ;)

I am of the opinion that the .45-70 does not need to be hot rodded to be effective. I like my load of 45.0 gr. 3031 because it shoots so well out of my gun, but I think those 400-405 gr. soft points were really designed to be shot in the neighborhood of 1300-1400 fps. I'd be interested to see what bullet performance is at higher velocities. I've heard some folks have jacket separation at these higher loads, but I don't have any experience to validate this. All I know is that the whitetails I am going after are not so hard to kill that they need a 400 gr. bullet moving at 1600 fps. ;)

If you are successful bagging a deer with the 1886, please post a pic or two. We'd love it. Mine this year fell to my newly aquired Marlin .375. The Guide Gun will have to wait to next season.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Cush and Bob,

You'll love smacking a deer with the 45/70 next year! My buck fell two years ago to mine. It knocked him backwards 3 yards on his hind end! :eek:

I want to get one with a 45 colt or 44 mag this year.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bobw said:
Gee what a deal, went shooting and was rewarded with more stimulas package than the rest of us :shock: don't think I'd tell the government about it ,i'm sure that ain't what they had in mind. So what kind of velocity you getting with the 45-70 loads? I loaded some 405 Remingtons with 51.5 grs 3031 in my repro 1886 Win Lite Rifle and they are fully capable of killing on both ends :twisted: . Got the load outta the Speer book and the groups look about like yours when I do my part ,but you sure don't need to shoot many at a outing either. Gonna smack a deer with them sometime next week with a little luck too. bobw
en , yeah. good. haha hpzl;n; hpzl;n; hpzl;n;

1 - 9 of 9 Posts