Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For many years I have been on the lookout for a Model 1873 in .44wcf. For one reason or the other I just couldn't close the deal on one due to either the price being out of my budget, the condition was too poor for the money being asked or the caliber wasn't what I wanted.

A few weeks ago I wandered into a LGS and spotted a reasonably priced 1873 in decent enough condition to interest me and was able to make a deal. Along with the '73 was a very nice Marlin 1893 in really good condition for what I thought was a great price and being the weak sort of person I am, and unable to choose between them, I did the only logical thing and bought both.

The Winchester was made in 1888 and while it has no original finish left, the metal is a nice smooth patina and hasn't been cleaned by an overzealous previous owner. The bore is decent for a 132 year old black powder rifle that clearly has seen use.

The Marlin is a real beauty, made in 1900 and chambered in .38-55, the bore is as shiny as a new dime. There is tons of bluing left on the barrel and you can still see the case coloring on the receiver and lever. The only place where there is a lot of finish loss is on the magazine tube. There is some light freckling on the left side of the receiver.

What I find interesting is that both rifles appear to have factory ordered Rocky Mountain front sights.

Now for the other Winchesters:

I primarily collect military arms and while doing some reorganizing in my vault, I found some old shotguns that I had mostly forgotten about. Well, maybe not exactly forgot but more like I was sidetracked while dealing with other stuff (my newest rabbit hole has been Japanese martial arms) so I hadn't looked at them for a long time. I decided to take them out, dust them off and take a picture or two.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Nice old lever rifles. I have three old Wnchesters that show their age but are still as slick as new action wise.

John

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
17,526 Posts
Very nice addition with the lever rifles amd love those old shotguns as they work better than a lot of new ones do.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts