Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got new grips for my 6" 25-5 so I thought I'd install them and get a family photo.

My old 25-2 is on top followed by a M28-2 that was converted to 45 ACP, and the 25-5 is the bottom revolver.

Something about a 45 caliber barrel that is quite soothing to me. At least from the rear sight end of it!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind words and interest.

I did my conversion back in the late 70s or early 80s. I happened upon a 45 ACP cylinder in one of the local gunshops (back when such establisments actually existed) and picked it up. I had a barrel for a 25-5 and originally was going to use that until I heard that Dick Nickel could rebore and rerifle barrels. The skinny barrel was sent to him and came but some weeks later bored to 45. Then I sat down at my bench and started fitting things together. The barrel went back in place with no problems but had to be removed to fit the cylinder. As I recall I needed to remove a bit from the breech end of the barrel to allow the cylinder to close. Once the cylinder was working and indexing correctly, I removed the frame lug, made a new one, and fitted it to the frame. I had intended to get the whole gun refinished in a high polish blue but never carried through on that.

Waht would it cost today? I am not sure, Mr Nickel has passed on, and I do not know if anyone else is doing rebores of revolver barrels. The cylinder would need to be found and purchased. After that, it is a matter of fitting the parts and refinishing. Today there are a few more options for the 45 ACP and I would probably opt for one of the factory produced revolvers. Or use a Brazilian Contract and resight it to hit with my handload.

I built mine back when there was no such thing as a mountain revolver. I wanted a skinny barreled 45 ACP revolver and finding and affording a M26 wasn't happening. So I built one. If I were to want a 45 Long Colt or 44 Special or any other cartidge that could be fit into a 38 cylinder with a simple rechambering, I might consider the conversion route, if I could find someone to rebore the barrel.

While I was in LAw Enforcement, I was a range officer. As such, I could carry any firearm I wanted while on duty. I qualified with and carried this revolver for about six months. It is still my primary carry piece. If I don't find a set of boot grips I like, I will probably just carve a set to my liking. It just takes time that I have not yet set aside!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quarter Cherokee said:
Yep, me too. I wouldn't be complete if I didn't have a .45 caliber revolver somewhere close by.

Nice grips on all three! Ooooops! I meant to say "stocks." ;)

That's the PC term for handles. :D
I have never been known to be PC, I call them as I see them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.