Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
I would say it's a special order built gun from the factory built in 1988.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Stranger things have happened. Should be easy enough to document. I don't se anything that immediately sets off the warning bells.

·
Registered
11,064 Posts
never say never with a Smith and Wesson
I'm thinking the reserve is North of 1500

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
A few things now come to mind after a detailed reflection...

If the gun was truly made in 1983, then the box is wrong. I have guns well into the BBCxxxx serial range that are in the Tri-Fold One Piece Box.

Also, the stocks should be Modified Magnas on a 58. These are Standard (Square Bottom) Magnas. As the run of NYSP 520's were only a few years earlier Modifieds were still in stock at the time... I bought several sets of Modifieds two years ago from the last stock at Smith & Wesson.

The Serial Number Stampings look odd. Guns I have in this range have markings that are a different style, size and spacing.

I have seen three different lanyard ring patterns on Smith & Wesson revolvers. None of them look like this type.

So I ask, WHERE'S THE LETTER? A gun this Historically Significant should have been lettered already....

This gun is starting to "feel funky". I would want to see some authentic documentation as a condition of purchase.

Drew

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would say that's a very low quality lanyard loop, in fact it looks more like it came from Numrich Arms rather than S & W - you can see the soldered joint.

I'm not certain when that 58 was made but of course before 1968 is a distinct possibility. I don't know at what point it became illegal to obliterate a serial number, I presume the only reason the loop is so far to the rear (and not in the middle) is to not obliterate the serial number - so, for the sake of discussion if the gun was made in 1965 and obliterating was not illegal until 1968, why place the loop so far to the rear?

Also, this Smith employee can somehow have a gun made up and pick & choose - but he can't have a serial # stamped elsewhere so the loop doesn't look out of place?

I suppose only the letter will tell for certain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts