Smith And Wesson Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
When I was in Laveen we would get a lot of Black widows on the patio. In AZ you just learn to do things a little different. Like.. I never just stick my hand in the bag of charcoal to pull out some coals .. Always pour from the bag ... If you left your shoes out overnight .. better shake them. Its second nature now but it was an adjustment.

We had a nice pool in Laveen .. if we left the towels on the chairs over night .. dont dry with them until ya Shake em!!

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Any spider in the house is food for the brown recluse. I have a divot in my left thigh from a recluse bite that almost killed me 10 years ago.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
For lack of getting up and really examining the snake I had in the shop in the rafters it was light tan 4 1/2ft long and didn't want to move. It had either a bird or a large mouse or small rat inside. I call it a "chicken snake." I think they are in the kingsnake family and come in a variety of colors.

I had a mostly black one with green flecks that stood 1-2ft tall poking out of the grass around the bottom of my purple martin pole. My dog was interested until it lunged at he a few times. It was every bit of 6ft+

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Any spider in the house is food for the brown recluse. I have a divot in my left thigh from a recluse bite that almost killed me 10 years ago.
It's strange how recluse bites affect different people differently. I know several people that have had experiences such as you describe. I have been bitten twice and it's never left a mark. I did go to the doc both times and was given antibiotics and steroids both times. Maybe my system just reacts differently??

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
It's strange how recluse bites affect different people differently. I know several people that have had experiences such as you describe. I have been bitten twice and it's never left a mark. I did go to the doc both times and was given antibiotics and steroids both times. Maybe my system just reacts differently??
I had no idea what happened. I got bit while sleeping. Didn't know what it was. I did kill whatever it was. December 8th. Sunday night/early Monday morning. By Tuesday I was running a fever. I went to the doctor while out of town on the following Saturday. He told gave me oral antibiotics told me to see alocal doctor when I got home if it didn't improve. I went to a local guy and we ramped up the antibiotics. I had MRSA too. I started heating a pickle jar in the microwave with water in it. Dumped the water out flipped it over on my wound and as it cooled it put massive suction on the area. Lots of stuff collected in the jar.....lots. Reddish clearish liquid. I was putting this ointment @$25 a tube on it until mid February.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Wow, that is nasty! Never heard of the pickle jar treatment, but sounds like a good trick to keep in the old bag of tricks.
My bites both looked rough with streaks heading to my torso, etc, but they went away as the meds worked. I killed both spiders that bit me, so I was sure what got me.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Regarding the brown recluse; in my case I was at my brother's in Littleton, CO. We were a little tipsy and I was rolling in the grass. I felt the bite and must have crushed the spider but didn't think about that at the time cuz I was a little tipsy. The next day we went golfing. About half way through the front nine I was feeling rotten but still put it down to being a little tipsy the evening before. I couldn't even finish the back nine and was getting quite sick. My brother took me to the ER and they had to cut my shirt to get it off as a lot of it was stuck to my now oozing skin. I swear it was melting away. I have no idea what the doc gave me and I was one sick dude for a couple of days and the growing wound on my shoulder kept oozing for three or four days before it stopped and began to scab up. The doc said it was more than likely a brown recluse. I still have a silver dollar size scar on my shoulder.

I haven't liked them since but I have no issues with spiders (except brown recluses).

I can't imagine what its last thought was.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wow, that is nasty! Never heard of the pickle jar treatment, but sounds like a good trick to keep in the old bag of tricks.
My bites both looked rough with streaks heading to my torso, etc, but they went away as the meds worked. I killed both spiders that bit me, so I was sure what got me.
That was 2009. Now there is doctors that specialize in "wound vac" tech that are like remoras on the wound. Mom had that done on her leg for a bed sore that got out of control. It was really-really bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just after reading this thread I stepped out my back door and almost stepped on a 4 foot black rat snake, the first snake I have seen so far this spring. Not sure who was startled the most. I think it was a tie. He jumped one way and me another. After my heart rate returned to normal it was decided that he may be allowed to stay around as long as he maintains proper social distancing of at least 50 feet.

·
Super Moderator
31,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
The only good snake is a dead snake.

Kill those snakes on sight. All of you are gun owners, so it should be easy to kill the snakes.
Opinions do vary. I can only see me killing an animal for two reasons:

If I am going to eat. I have had snake, it wasn't bad but nothing that was a big deal for me.

If it is a threat. Non venomous snakes I do like to have around for reasons stated above, they are apt to control rodents and other snakes.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For those of you who use a .38 shot shell to dispatch a snake let me say one thing … not enough gun. I thought that was what the 20-gauge was for.

To the OP, when they are high like that I use the branch cutter part on an 8-foot pole saw. Hook it over the body and pull the rope. It's much better than blowing holes in the roof. On the ground I have all kinds of chopping devices but if it is a poisonous snake I go straight to the 20-gauge. I don't take prisoners.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts