Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When working from home. I looked out the patio sliding glass door yesterday morning and had this guest:

Snake was about 5 foot long and just slithering around the patio overhang. Not venomous so I let him, or her, to go on his merry and be a happy little snake enjoying life and eating rodents and vermin!

·
Super Moderator
32,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not a fan of snakes
And here I am the opposite of the Jim Stafford song, I actually do love spiders and snakes just not venomous ones. I don't like scorpions but they are pretty much armored so you swat one with a flyswatter it just gives you the finger, moons you and takes off!

·
Banned
1,974 Posts
"I don't like spiders and snakes...."

And I don't live in a place that has scorpions. We do have the occasional brown recluse or black widow. So my procedure is to squash any spider that makes it inside. I haven't seen a snake in my neighborhood. But my brother across town, used to have a pair of chickens (until some neighbor complained event though zoning regulations allow chickens) that ate garter snakes.

·
Registered
12,464 Posts
And here I am the opposite of the Jim Stafford song, I actually do love spiders and snakes just not venomous ones. I don't like scorpions but they are pretty much armored so you swat one with a flyswatter it just gives you the finger, moons you and takes off!
What I learned a LONG time ago at summer camp was to take that scorpion and place it in a circle of lighter fluid so it is surrounded by a ring of fire; they will then sting themselves to death when they can't see a way out............at least it worked the one time we did it...............:D

·
Registered
22,084 Posts
Nice surprise in the morning. My ex would of screamed and refused to go outside unless I would take care of such a visitor. Don't mind snakes...spiders freak me out and if I see one alive in the house it's dead!

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I see garter snakes around from time to time. I let them be. I don’t have any venomous snakes around, but I’d use a dose of your medicine on them too Wendy.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Last year I had some black netting on the floor of the shed for a project. Went to get into my tool bag and there tangled up on the netting was a snake whose coloring looked VERY similar to a rattle snake. Guess it was about 3.5-4 feet. Not huge but .. I was thinking Rattle snake.

I dont like to kill things if they are not attacking me or I'm not going to eat it so I posted a pic .. still trapped in the net ... on my local gun board and was told it was a non venomous snake. Whew...

I dragged the netting with snake still attached outdoors and the wife and I spent about 20 minutes very carefully with scissors and tongs cutting the netting away. I will very freely admit that even though 4-5 long time locals had insisted it wasn't a rattle snake .. I was not thrilled about holding the snake!!!

Eventually .. we got it free .. maybe missing a few scales and off it ran. FAST!

I think its awesome to see nature being nature and I understand they didn't move into my home I moved into theirs so ... If I can send them on their way I try.

I absolutely like seeing the teen coyotes run through the community more than I like those little yippy dogs the snow birds bring!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
OK, OK, I’m going to let this cat out of the bag – I’m a Wuss, a big-time Wuss. I HATE snakes, any snake, I’m deathly afraid of them. The same goes for spiders. I’ve had a couple of spider bites that caused me some significant health issues – one short-term, but the other quite abit longer than “short term”. A spider in my house gets sprayed and then stomped. Thankfully, there aren’t alot of snakes along the Mid-Atlantic seaboard. Now, rabid foxes – those we’ve got in abundance, and you ain’t lived until you’ve been a captive in your own car in your own driveway with a couple of rabid foxes scratching like crazy at your car door trying to claw their way into it . . .

·
Premium Member
11,464 Posts
I don't like snakes but I tolerate garter snakes and bull snakes as they are "good" snakes. The poor bull snake was unfortunate enough to look like a rattlesnake at first glance. When we lived in Tampa we had a deck with a swimming pool. It was a shock for this midwestern man to have to learn to look for moccassins and rattlesnakes in the pool filter before sticking your hand in there; also the pump (water moccasins love the warmth of the pump). I became quite deadly to the pygmy rattlesnakes around my pool.

We finally fenced in the pool with those wonderful screen structures which kept the snakes out and doubled the size of our house for those three months we could open it up and turn off the a/c.

Spiders I have no problem with. I managed to kill the brown recluse that bit me but not until he had bitten me in the shoulder. I will carry that scar with me to the grave.

Reactions: WendyZXZ

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I Do NOT like snakes. Don’t see many up here. Definitely none of the poisonous ones here. If I saw that thing overhead on my porch I would have to run out and steal a roll of toilet paper.
My parents lived in Florida before they passed away and I had to change a ceiling light fixture for them once. Took it down and there was a little dead snake in the globe. It was never the same sleeping in that house knowing there could be snakes crawling around in the attic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
917 Posts
That non-venomous snake is taking up habitat, displacing a venomous snake, as well as keeping your place rodent free.

Consider this : Without spiders, the entire surface of the earth would be covered in a 30 foot high carpet of flies and mosquitoes in less than a month.

So, how many spiders do you want to kill, now?

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I don't like snakes but the non-poisonous ones & I have an truce, they kill vermin & I don't kill them. Spiders & I have a similar agreement. All spiders are poison but most can't open their mouths enough to bite. Apaches had a goo they dipped arrowheads in made of rotted liver, kidney, snake venom & spiders... a horrible way for an enemy to die. There are several Daddy Long Legs in our house, they do a great job keeping the more undesirable bugs cleaned out. Black Widows get squashed.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts