Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How about a break from all the political BS of late?

I've been selling, trading and buying over the past month and have this to show for the effort.

Top is a Garrett made replica of the 1863 New Model Sharps conversion carbine, caliber 50-70.
Bottom lever gun is a Rossi 92 with a 16" barrel, in 357/38 Special.

Traded into the Sharps last weekend. From what I've read, the reproduction Sharps rifles imported by Garrett back in the 1980's are highly thought of and considered one of the most accurate copies. Mine has parts of the Lawrence pellet priming system, visible on the lock plate, which is an accurate detail of the old Civil war rifles converted to 50-70.

The only fly in the ointment is the numerous, did I say numerous, tap holes atop the barrel. Some time during the life of this rifle, some one apparently thought it a good idea to install a scope. Only God knows what they were thinking. The 50-70 has the trajectory of a rainbow.

It came with a set of Leopold mounts but I've no intention of using them. I like it and did good on the trade and I already reload and cast bullets for my Remington 50-70 roller so I'm good to go ammo wise.

The Rossi is LNIB and has the safety lever atop the bolt. I'd been watching the local want adds and online swap boards for a 357 lever rifle and acted quickly when this one popped up. I'll have to look into getting a peep sight installed for shooting use. Should be a dandy plinker.

Have yet to shoot either rifle but am looking forward to a range trip.

John

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Very nice. Very nice indeed. Your hard horse trading paid off big time.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Two really great rifles! Must admit, if I could ever find one, a little 92 like your's would be just about ideal. Sincerely. bruce.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice rifles but who ever taped that Sharps barrel i have to wonder was he sober?
I thought that too. There's a nice how-to video on Midway USA on plugging and hiding unwanted tap holes. I figure there is a years worth of work but may give it a try.
After getting it home I found that the when opening the breech, sometimes the block would drop down too much which kicked out the extractor too far, blocking the breech block from closing. I fixed it by reversing the breech block/lever linkage. Works fine now. The rest of the rifle is in excellent shape.

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts