Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are a couple of new ones. First is a 3.5 pre 27. Second is a nice 28-2 that was 99%. After shooting the 28 quite a bit, I really like the size of these guns. The pre 27 was just picked up today so no shooting yet. Here they are.........

Pre 27

Model 28-2

Take care and stay safe fella's.

Norm....

·
Registered
784 Posts
Norm, those are very nice .357's. They look like they're begging to be loaded up and shot.

·
Registered
10,923 Posts
N frame 357s are sooooo nice

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah.... N frames are nice. I've got to blame this part of my collection on Dave. I saw his 27 that he converted to 44 special and fell in love. Thanks Dave!

Your amigo,

Norm.....

:D

·
Registered
747 Posts
That 27 is just beautiful, had a chance to buy one last month but a previous owner scratched his initials on the side plate, made me sick, but I'm still looking.
The 28 is great also.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Congratulations on a fine pair of N-Frames! Beautiful revolvers. I really am fond of the 3 1/2" N Frames and yours is really nice. Enjoy them both. ihjf
Bob

·
Registered
10,457 Posts
Hey gents, help out a forum member; what are the most notable differences between a 27 and a 28? I know the Highway Patrolman was more utilitarian for daily use (police work and such), but what really sets them apart? :?:

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Not an expert by ANY means,but venture to say Target hammer and trigger & finish.Any other noted differences ?,please let me know too.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
The model 28 wasn't as polished as the 27 and didn't have a checkered top strap. The 1st and 2nd model 27's I had, didn't have a target trigger or target hammer. You could order the sights and trigger and hammer for the 27, when you ordered the gun.

My 27's have a red ramp front sight and white outline rear. I have never seen a 28 with those options. Of course the 28 was cheaper due to the duller finish, I guess.

·
Registered
47 Posts
LRWest,
Very nice guns. The 27's and 28's are 2 of my favorites, and the older the better. I found this 28-2 from 1963/64 in my local gun store today and it followed me home. It came with this holster that is not marked in any way, but I think it most likely is a law-enforcement holster, possibly from the Texas Department of Public Safety. Can anyone identify the holster?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Triplelock said:
The model 28 wasn't as polished as the 27 and didn't have a checkered top strap. The 1st and 2nd model 27's I had, didn't have a target trigger or target hammer. You could order the sights and trigger and hammer for the 27, when you ordered the gun.

My 27's have a red ramp front sight and white outline rear. I have never seen a 28 with those options. Of course the 28 was cheaper due to the duller finish, I guess.
To add to what Triplelock said, the top strap of the 28 is bead blasted to make a very dull, matte, non reflective surface. The top strap of the 27 is checkered to do the same. The blueing on the 28 is very dull black. On the 27 it is the high lustre that almost looks blue as a person rotates it around in the light. Like a prism, it has more depth and color variation. In general, I feel like my 27 has better fit and finish. I see rough machining marks on the cylinder of my 28. The 27 just seems like it was put together by a jeweler, no better way to explain it than "it's just nice".

I really like the 28's for a shooting gun. I wish they came in 3.5" because I really like that look. For driving around with in my pickup, the 28 is tough to beat. I'm careful with all my guns, but I don't worry as much that I'll put a scratch on the 28. They just project the fact that they're made to be carried and shot. I think they are a real good value in today's market. They are also about half the price of a comparable 27.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts