Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Old timers take a smoke break, you'll get it, let the new members have a shot. This is a pre-model 14 Target Masterpiece from 1949, it has never been shot by me and I cannot find evidence the previous owner did either. We have many new members here, what's wrong with this beauty and what makes it different than most other pre-model 14's? The prize is knowing you got the answers correct, so what do you think? ;)

·
Premium Member
Model 27 and Model 19 (early builds)
3,572 Posts
It's the front sight.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damned poor "prize," but looks like the front sight blade has been re-shaped. Rub mark on the cylinder means it's been "played with," if not shot.
I had a grandgal birthday party today with a pinata, I have some hard candy if you'd like me to mail some! ;)

Reactions: Cliff

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, their are TWO mysteries with this gal. I haven't heard the answer to both yet. Hey you ringers, let the newbies have a shot!

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe my eyes deceive me but there almost looks like a bulge in the barrel just ahead of the frame. The front sight looks different.
No, your eyes aren't deceiving you, this is a tapered barrel model, which would soon be replaced with the straight barrel. In all fairness, the lousy picture doesn't allow for a better view, but you got it! :) Yes, also the front sight was altered sometime in this gal's past, but I've been told it was popular with target shooters, so there are likely more out there with the same look.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I waited to give some new folks a chance. The front sight was an instant flag but I put the anomaly on the barrel down to lighting. I'll bet it still shoots very well even with the bulge. Thanks for posting a gun oriented topic.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I waited to give some new folks a chance. The front sight was an instant flag but I put the anomaly on the barrel down to lighting. I'll bet it still shoots very well even with the bulge. Thanks for posting a gun oriented topic.
Oh no, it's not a bulge, just a tapered barrel. Yes, it's not the best picture.

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Registered
906 Posts
You asked what makes different from other pre model 14s. The tapered was standard on all pre 14s wasn’t it? If not I would be curious to know when they changed to the non tapered one.

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You asked what makes different from other pre model 14s. The tapered was standard on all pre 14s wasn’t it? If not I would be curious to know when they changed to the non tapered one.
That's a good question and I don't have an answer for it. I do have another pre-model 14 shipped in 1952, it has the straight barrel. I'm sure someone will have a good answer for the weening of the tapered barrel.

·
Registered
69 Posts
If that revolver has not been shot, where did the wear on the extractor rod come from, and why are the points on the checkering of the stocks not sharp?

·
Registered
10,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If that revolver has not been shot, where did the wear on the extractor rod come from, and why are the points on the checkering of the stocks not sharp?
Maybe it has been shot, not by me, but if it was by the original owner, who I understood to have been an 'accumulator' of Smiths for many years, it's hard to find evidence of. If he did shoot it, he did so rarely. There's a turn line on the cylinder, but after years of handling, empty cylinder cycling/dry firing, it can happen. As to the stocks, well the picture isn't great, but in real life they look brand new. I bought the gun at a store that was selling many guns from this elderly gent and it didn't have a box, so there's no telling how it was stored since 1949. It doesn't matter to me, I simply thought I'd have some fun with an old, very nice example of a 1949 Smith & Wesson. I hope I wasn't too misleading for you in my description!

·
Premium Member
18,605 Posts
The 4 line Made in the USA was a one liner in 1949.

Charlie
No, Charlie. The 4 line began in 1948. It sorta phased in with the short throw action.

1948: Four line address block change order was issued to add the phrase “Marcas Registradas” and the S&W name and address to the MADE IN U.S.A. frame stamp in April.

(Page 494).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts