1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Pass me some 45 acp. I’d rather my ammo spend twice the mass and energy in the bad guy than a fast pass through of half the mass going through and injuring an innocent bystander. I also would prefer OO-Buck to either for the same reasons. But it’s hard to fit a shotgun in my pocket.

·
Premium Member
10,266 Posts
Of course, step one is to have enough training and practice to actually hit the target you're defending against while under pressure...

For that you need to develop muscle memory since you won't be thinking through each step of a self defense incident...

If you fire either a 9mm Luger or .45acp round and miss because you can't control the handgun adequately and properly followup you have made a lot of noise, and attractive a lot of attention, but not necessarily stopped the threat.

Besides, you're likely to alert the criminal's accomplice you didn't see and then you could really have a problem.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
How many here have actually used any handgun to stop anything critter or human? Or know what hot lead & cold steel feel like? (Yes, I have, no I won't discuss it except to say I came by my scars honest). The gist of the article is Shot placement, not caliber & Handgun stopping power is a myth. .0093 (difference in bore diameter) more or less won't matter, hitting vital areas does.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
How many here have actually used any handgun to stop anything critter or human?
As an occasional member of a FO/AO team, I have experience in the usage thus employment of a 1911A1. I learned what generations before me learned the 1911A1 is a supplement and the rifle is a primary. Is the 45ACP a one round show stopper, it depends. No details forth coming end of story. As this is written a Shield-9X19mm primarily for concealed carry with the main attributes of portability/concealment/capacity/adequate.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I have always been and will continue to be a true believer in the . 45 auto but recent experience has raised my respect for the 9 mm. With modern high performance ammunition , both are top shelf defense cartridges . The only reason I don't shoot more 9 than I do is my bad hands have a hard time reloading the smaller case .

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Mrerick and Injunbro, I agree with both your approaches. That is why I put the OO-Buck in. Increased odds of hitting the vital “gotcha” spot. In reality when I’m home I grab the shot gun with a revolver backup. On then street I carry a revolver (357 mag) primary and a pistol (9mm) backup. I used to carry a 45 acp primary and a 9mm backup. The reason was I didn’t see much difference in killing/stopping power either. I was more comfortable with the 45 acp.

Not bragging, but I’m a pretty good shot and most times hit what I aim at. I usually score high in competitions but my speed has slowed down some as I have passed the big 60, it happens. I still train and do some completion to keep the aim on the stamina as good as I can get. I also like to stay sharp with skeet and some trap. Never gotten in to sporting clays but I can see why some folks like it.

I have used 45 acp to kill hogs and such effectively. I would prefer it over a 9mm in most cases. Personal preference, comfort with and confidence is the reason. I have taken deer and hogs with the 357 Magnum. Does the trick every time so far. I haven’t tried .38 spl yet.

·
Premium Member
10,266 Posts
Both calibers are powerful enough to require locked breech design handguns. Yes - a few unlocked breech guns have been made, but they are impracticably heavy. Think "Hi-Point" in 9mm.

Smaller calibers starting with the .380 acp have been widely produced with unlocked breech designs, and some of the modern ones appear to be very cheaply made. For example, one of my students brought a brand new M&P .380 Bodyguard to class, and it promptly locked up after about 4 shots. Something in the mechanism failed internally. It was a qualification run for CCH permit, and we loaned the student a replacement firearm in 9mm.

I don't have a problem with older all steel guns that are in the smaller calibers and have unlocked breech designs. The Walther Suhl, Ulm and Arkansas manufactured PP and PPK are good examples of well made guns.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
The 38 special is to small and only 6 shots
The 9mm has good capacity but is to small
The 45 Is so big and has limited capacity
The 10 mm is much more powerful but agents can't deal with the recoil
The 40 SW gives more capacity. less recoil that a 10mm and almost the bullet size of a 45, but is has still has to much recoil for some new snowflakes

After all the money, testing and wasted firearm purchases lets use:

THE 9MM.

Now, since the FBI likes the 9mm again, the general public now hates the 40SW and 40 SW handguns have flooded the market.

Kinda like what is the new I Phone!

:D:D

·
Registered
989 Posts
I've tried both 9mm and 45 acp. I've found the 9mm a little more difficult to control recoil on. The 45 acp I can control and recover the sight picture much faster.
I tried this using the same gun per say. There both SA 4 in XD models. Essentially the same gun. My steel 45 acp pistols I've found recoil recovery to be quicker.
Maybe it's me, dont know.
What I do know, shoot what you can hit with multiple times. For me, that's a 45.

·
Super Moderator
31,910 Posts
I love the title, why are we arguing about... Because folks like and want to argue! Both are just tools, think of it who would scare you more, Jerry Miculek with a 9mm or even a .22 or the typical street trash with a .45? Which do you think would be more effective at putting holes in your body quickly and where it would do the most harm, Miculek or the idiot holding his pistol sideways?

·
Banned
918 Posts
But it’s hard to fit a shotgun in my pocket.
Well, now that you mention it, there IS the S&W Governor, 6 rounds of .410 triple ought, that
will fit in a large pocket very nicely. And shoots well, too.

But, I'll take ol' Mr. FatNslow 45ACP, myself, anytime.

But Rule3 makes an excellent point, if you are looking for a good gun and cheap ammo
on a budget, you could do a lot worse than the 40 S&Ws that are getting dumped on the market,
right now.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Another copy and paste article about an ad nauseam subject. Equal and opposite reaction, hmm, and this relates to fluid dynamics how? Good grief, whatever happened to bullet selection/construction, there's an overlap in calibers, carry for the perceived threat/environment. I recently read an article and in the author's opinion, the .357mag is inefficient, really??? Yup, really. A JHP is only as good as its weakest petal...I'm bored. :)

1 - 20 of 85 Posts