1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,065 Posts
the 40 is certainly more snappy than the 9 but I like it. Havnt shot a 45.

thewelshm

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
Well I can predict something about this thread, it's going to have MANY opinions! :) I'm not in a position to say much, I own all three platforms and really like the 40 S&W round, not sure why, I just do. I can offer real world offerings only from my cop son's related experience. Through the academy and for 10 years he carried a 45 ACP primary and backup pistol (which I now own!). He has his issued 40 S&W, but it's new in the box in a safe, never fired as they were given an option to buy their own carry, which he did. Nearly 2 years ago now he decided to move to a 9MM platform given the much improved ballistics from modern ammo and the fact he can carry more rounds into battle. The biggest influence to make him change was a PD Sergeant that is not only one of the better target shooters on the force, but has had 5 gun battles on the street. He himself was also a 45 ACP man, but after studying the improvements of ammunition afforded by the 9MM, he changed platforms. Less recoil (the son carries a Glock 17C, which offers next to no recoil), more ammo if you're pinned down and needing help, plus the overall weight on your service belt is lighter....run 7 or 8 city blocks at full speed chasing a bad guy and you'll find every bit helps! Again, I'm excited to see the varying opinions and comments that are sure to come! I'm loading up a 22LR right now, it's about all I figure I can run with! :)

·
Registered
12,809 Posts
Me, I like 45's because they are easier to reload and I can really make them zing too.

·
Premium Member
make mine 45 acp 😎
3,958 Posts
don't care for the .40 had a plastic springer don't own one anymore..

never had much feeling for the 9mm, until I got the browning hp.. now I have to feed that gun regular.

shoot a ton of 45 in semi and revolver, love the 1911 platform and a 625 makes my heartbeat rise..

at the end of the day, for me its about the gun and how I shoot it..

·
Premium Member
10,248 Posts
It's funny, having been brought up on the 9mm Luger and the .45 ACP, for quite a while, I said to myself, "all I need is another caliber to shoot and reload"...

A few years ago, i picked up a used Ruger P94 in .40 S&W. It is a larger alloy framed full size semi-auto pistol. It shot true and felt really good. Obviously had more power than the 9mm Luger, but more easy to control than the .45acp.

Since then, I have bought a couple more in that caliber. A S&W M&P 40C and a Sig P229 in .40S&W.

Like BC2, I have found that the round is growing on me...

I think my preference overall is still the .45acp round. Big and slow. Fewer rounds in the magazine, but I train and can control the .45acp effectively.

Reactions: CentexShooter

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I shot a 10mm and sold off all things .45 and .40, down to the dies, brass and bullets. I still have a 9mm that I carry in the summer.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I acquired my first 40 in 2004. I became a fan almost immediately. I'm partial to 45acp, though. My present EDC is a Shield 40. But the new Shield 45 is on order. I suspect after a couple of range trips it will replace the 40 most days. I do have a Nano 9mm that sees occasional duty and an LCP mostly for backup. I really never feel out gunned with any of them except maybe the 380. But that still beats a knife or stick any day.

·
Super Moderator
31,872 Posts
After we have gotten a number of 9mm here in the last couple of years that is a new favorite caliber and pistol for me, especially with the Walther PPQ and H&K VP9 which have exceptional triggers.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Wait...

Run 7 or 8 blocks...

Oh HELL no.

That's why I carry a pistol. Well, and truck keys.

ME: "STOP!"
BADGUY: (keeps running)
ME: BLAM!, BLAM!
BADGUY: (falls down)
ME: (walks up, speaks quietly) "I said, 'stop'..."

Ok, in all seriousness, the LAST thing I'm going to consider on choosing a caliber (for carry or otherwise), is HOW FAR I CAN RUN while "carrying".

I'm a middle aged white guy with a job, a steady income, and a set of truck keys.

I'm not "chasing" anyone. At least not on foot anyway.

:p

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
The previous post was (mostly) tongue in cheek.

Besides...

I can really let them get out there on a head start, and get out the 6.5x284. That one can cover a lot of ground.

I'm not a cop. Don't intend to play one on TV either. That being said, I've always considered a side arm as a poor substitute for a rifle. Granted if I was a cop, I would have to trade off the effectiveness of a rifle for the convenience of a side arm most of the time. Living out here in the country now, with several scoped high power rifles (that means larger than 223's btw :p ). I'm pretty comfortable in my lack of need to chase or run in most circumstances.

I personally prefer 45's for personal defense, but I'm also non-LE, and have no intention of deliberately walking into harm's way, unless someone brings harms way to my home or family. Goes without saying (maybe, maybe not) that my hat's off to those that have to put themselves in those situations. That's not me, so my equipment decisions are different.

Also, physics is physics. While mostly drawing from my long range target rifle and big game hunting field experience, I can say:

Speed is temporary...
MASS is permanent.

Speed X Mass = Kinetic Energy

Give me mass, every time

·
Registered
10,308 Posts
The previous post was (mostly) tongue in cheek.

Besides...

I can really let them get out there on a head start, and get out the 6.5x284. That one can cover a lot of ground.

I'm not a cop. Don't intend to play one on TV either. That being said, I've always considered a side arm as a poor substitute for a rifle. Granted if I was a cop, I would have to trade off the effectiveness of a rifle for the convenience of a side arm most of the time. Living out here in the country now, with several scoped high power rifles (that means larger than 223's btw :p ). I'm pretty comfortable in my lack of need to chase or run in most circumstances.

I personally prefer 45's for personal defense, but I'm also non-LE, and have no intention of deliberately walking into harm's way, unless someone brings harms way to my home or family. Goes without saying (maybe, maybe not) that my hat's off to those that have to put themselves in those situations. That's not me, so my equipment decisions are different.

Also, physics is physics. While mostly drawing from my long range target rifle and big game hunting field experience, I can say:

Speed is temporary...
MASS is permanent.

Speed X Mass = Kinetic Energy

Give me mass, every time
Slim I REALLY hope you realize I was referring to my son who actually is a cop, not me. I couldn't/wouldn't run down the hall if a bad guy was here and I had a firearm in hand. The fact is my son does carry a rifle and did just last year run 1 full mile chasing a fleeing felon with his rifle in hand and he caught him, no shots fired! They had an overhead copter calling out radio directions through places patrol cars couldn't quite get to, but normally in close quarters he's relying on his side arm. The point about 9mm having one small advantage was weight, not an issue for regular folks, I was only referring to a specific situation, not mine. In all honesty, being able to carry more rounds of one caliber is probably zeroed out with a heavier load, but I'm not going to be the one to tell him that! :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Hey Black,

Yeah, I know you were referring to your son. It's all good. I just remember from back in my gun store days, all the "TactiCool Toddlers" that would come in and fancy themselves as some kind of swat/special forces/mall-ninja wannabees. Some of the "stuff" they would spout would just make me shake my head and laugh. None of them were real cops/swat/etc, but they sure had it figured out, spouting the latest and greatest gun rag advice of the day. Most of them would have wet their short pants if they ever faced any real shootouts. Real LE's are a different matter entirely.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts