Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got into shooting earlier this year. Have a Pro Series 60. Want an ez either 9mm or 380. Just to be used for range shooting and home protection primarily. Thoughts on which to purchase?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
I have both and am happy with the two. If the 9mm had come out first , it would have been my first choice simply because 9mm is a more effective round and until recently was cheaper and more abundant.

·
Registered
10,681 Posts
It depends on who's gun it is. Wifey has a 380. She likes it as-is. I have a 9 but it's not an EZ. She can handle it but she has a little trouble racking it. She has very small hands.

I too might have bought the 9 EZ if it had been out just so I don't have to stock 380 ammo. Else there's very little difference between 'em other than recoil.

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
Do yourself a favor, and look at the M&P Shield 9mm (if you can rack the stiff recoil spring of the slide). That for carry. The full size M&P 9mm for home.

Much better made, IMHO.

Reactions: slm6596 and Philo

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have both, the 380EZ is a Performance model and the 9EZ is regular, I actually enjoy shooting the 380 more than the 9mm, I find it to be more accurate and comfortable to shoot. My wife enjoys the 380 also over the 9mm.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Because of advanced arthritis and other damage to my hands/wrists I can't take the chance of shooting 9mm anymore. I do enjoy my .380 EZ as a range toy, though. For SD I have (forgive me) SIG P238's. And for just plain range fun my M&P .22 compact is so nice I bought a second one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have both. I bought the 9mm for me but my wife likes it better to shoot at the range, just has a real problem racking it. I prefer to carry the 380 due to its size. My property manager carries the MP 380. We owned a mobile park in one of the worst zip codes in the US. Previous owner was shot twice. My wife rents a 100lb trained shepherd when we are in town to keep down the turmoil. We clean up nasty properties.
I shot every 9mm and 380 I could rent at the ranges prior to these along with a Glock 40 cal, etc. I love both these MP guns and if I was going to do it again, I would do it again. The 380 with a laser is a lot easier as a carry gun for me, although the 9mm is a little more serious if you need it. Most won't that I have seen.
I haven't tried the EZ series but that might be better for the wife if they rack easier.
My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
FYI...

If you do get a Shield EZ look for one that was made prior to the recall date of manufacture - or plan to send it back quickly to have it fixed. Look at all of the thousands of SIG P320's that went back and people still loved them and kept buying them.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
In the past were recalls simply not done and you'd have to live with the lemons?

So maybe when products prove to be defective the mfg's are proving more responsible than in the past?

Me, I'd rather they just insist on quality control...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got into shooting earlier this year. Have a Pro Series 60. Want an ez either 9mm or 380. Just to be used for range shooting and home protection primarily. Thoughts on which to purchase?
Dont buy one with the thumb saftey. Nothing but trouble. Sent mine back and they did nothing. Now I'm stuck with a gun I dont trust and cant sell to anyone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Unless you have problems racking the slide of a full size 9mm, that is what I would recommend for home defense and range use. Besides having a longer barrel (for higher velocity), it is easier to handle in general (easier to manage the recoil, easier to grip) than the small subcompact pistols.

I have the 9 EZ, and like it a lot as an EDC, but I also have a full-size 9mm M&P 2.0 for home defense.

I bought the EZ for my carry pistol since my wife has arthritic hands and could not rack the full-size pistol. IOW, I wanted one she could actually use if need be. She can rack the 9 EZ just fine, and it is a good size for EDC.

She insisted on the thumb safety, BTW, and it causes no problems for me. It is a little stiff, but other than that, no issues with it.

If you bought the version with the thumb safety and don't want it, just leave it in the "fire" position all the time and it functionally disappears.

I bought the 9 EZ (rather than the 380) so I wouldn't have to stock different ammo.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts