Premium Member
11,349 Posts
9mm luger

124 grain

or 147 grain works great in my Shield or my Ruger 1911 9mm

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
No matter what grain weight is chosen (115, 124 147), Full Metal Jacket bullets are for outside pratice. My Gun Club won't allow them at the indoor range. Only JHP ammo is suitable for self defense....unless you have no other choice than FMJ. Sometimes JHP ammo will not feed in a semi-auto, be sure to test it before you carry it!!!! Bob

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
No matter what grain weight is chosen (115, 124 147), Full Metal Jacket bullets are for outside pratice. My Gun Club won't allow them at the indoor range. Only JHP ammo is suitable for self defense....unless you have no other choice than FMJ. Sometimes JHP ammo will not feed in a semi-auto, be sure to test it before you carry it!!!! Bob
I have never heard of a range that didnt allow FMJ. There are some cheap HP's so I guess its all good.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Typical ranges don't allow steel cased (instead of brass) ammo, a steel projectile (instead of brass), and reloads. If that's the case, bringing a magnet along will prove to them nothing you're shooting is steel.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Typical ranges don't allow steel cased (instead of brass) ammo, a steel projectile (instead of brass), and reloads. If that's the case, bringing a magnet along will prove to them nothing you're shooting is steel.
My favorite local indoor range doesnt allow steel case or steel core. When they instituted it they would pass a magnet overall my ammo but .. I am a regular so now they ask if I have any and forgo the magnet .. they know the answer but I guess the employees have to ask to keep their jobs so I dont give them a hard time about it.

I wont use steel core or steel case so it doesn't make a difference to me.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
I practice with the ammo I carry with. Federal 147 gr. My G19 just likes that round. Brass cases too.....NO steel......fwiw

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Let me chime in on that Shield. Great gun, not picky on ammo. That siad, start off with "brand name" ammo. CCI/Federal is a good ammo, never had a problem with it. I have tried Acquila (?) and Tula. It was very dirty and took more cleaning. Once you have some expoereince, you can branch out and try other brands but I recommend sticking to well known brands. Cheap isn't always cheap and there is usaully a reason something is cheap.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts