Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

Please help a newb out.

My FFL is processing a S&W Shield 9. As I anxiously await the call to pick it up, I'd like to order some rounds. I searched this forum as well as googled but cannot find a solid answer to below question.

Question: What type 9mm round would work with the Shield? I've seen 9x19, 9mm Luger, 9mm +p, 9mm NATO, etc.

I have a solid understanding on the grains and the types of casings (brass, steel, etc).

Thanks in advance!

AZ_BO

·
Registered
76 Posts
Question: What type 9mm round would work with the Shield? I've seen 9x19, 9mm Luger, 9mm +p, 9mm NATO, etc.
All of those names are synonyms for exactly the same cartridge. The most common names are 9 mm Luger, 9x19 and 9mm Parabellum but the others describe the same cartridge The 9mm+P is just a standard 9 mm cartridge loaded to higher pressure and the 9 mm NATO is the same round loaded to NATO specifications. They will all work in your Shield but 9 mm standard pressure (i.e. not +P) will be easier on the gun and easier to shoot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of those names are synonyms for exactly the same cartridge. The most common names are 9 mm Luger, 9x19 and 9mm Parabellum but the others describe the same cartridge The 9mm+P is just a standard 9 mm cartridge loaded to higher pressure and the 9 mm NATO is the same round loaded to NATO specifications. They will all work in your Shield but 9 mm standard pressure (i.e. not +P) will be easier on the gun and easier to shoot.
Thanks for the prompt reply! This helps tremendously!

·
Registered
8,995 Posts
Here's hoping the OP can even FIND any ammo for his 9mm period. Right now, things seem to be in short supply everywhere.
OP, if you can find any 9mm while waiting for your gun, or your dealer has some, grab it now; it might not be there tomorrow.

·
Banned
918 Posts
Similar calibers to avoid:
9mm "kurz"(380)
9mm X 17mm(380)
9mm ACP(380)
9mm "Makarov"
9mmx18mm(Makarov)
9mm "Largo"
9mm "long"
9mmX21mm("largo" or "long")

We all like the S&B 115 grain FMJs, around here. Effective, dependable, economical, work with everything.

·
Premium Member
10,222 Posts
The 9mm NATO cartridges are also over pressure. Higher than the standard velocity 9mm and less than the +P.

Reactions: Boriqua

·
Registered
429 Posts
9 mm Parabellum?:p:p:p

Hector

·
Premium Member
10,222 Posts
The Luger Parabellum pistol (so named because "Parabellum" was the telegraphic cable address of the DWM company in Berlin that made them) was the original pistol that used the 9mm Luger cartridge (9x19mm).

Here's more information that you'd probably ever want about the cartridge and it's variants:

https://cartridgecollectors.org/documents/Introduction-to-9mm-Luger-Cartridges.pdf

The Wikipedia article is pretty good too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×19mm_Parabellum

Here's the current European specification for it:

https://www.cip-bobp.org/homologation/uploads/tdcc/tab-iv/tabivcal-en-page28.pdf

The SAAMI standards for the handgun cartridges that they standardize are here:

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.3-CFP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

As they say, "tutorials R us!"

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Glad Marc chimed in with that! The nato is going to be a bit more spicy then say off the shelf FMJ like WWB or S&B. Its a nice practice round if you can get it because it feels more like premium standard pressure self defense ammo without the cost associated with shooting premium self defense ammo.

For practice .. anything you can get your hands on right now but having said that .. I have said it before .. guys are maiming and killing each other pretty regular in the US with Winchester White box. While it wouldnt be my first choice for nightstand or carry .. it beats an icepick at 10yds

·
Premium Member
10,222 Posts
I think that the marketing of self defense ammo is what drives most new handgun owner's anxiety about "getting the right ammo" to do the job.

It's quite true that various designs of bullets and loading of different amounts of different powders can increase the ballistic effectiveness of a round, but the thing that will make the most difference in actually defending yourself is the training you get, and the skills you develop. No round design is effective at self-defense if you miss. It's even worse if you hit something or someone that you don't intend to stop, perhaps an innocent bystander or member of your family.

It's more difficult for a new shooter to control the increased recoil of many +P loaded self defense rounds. It's particularly difficult in the very lightweight compact pistols like the Ruger LCP - a gun that is often pushed by the counter clerks in gun shops.

The myth of immediately stopping an attack with the right high power ammo is from the movies and television. Even the self defense rounds are not instant stop power capable, dropping an attacker in their steps - unless you happen to make a central CNS hit (head / spine). Few people are that accurate when on the move during an attack incident.

So, new gun buyers anxious about self defense often end up with a hard to control lightweight compact handgun and +P self-defense ammo that would be hard to control in a heavier full size steel framed gun. You can't buy the skill you need to shoot that combination - you have to train to develop it.

If one out of 1,000 of the panic gun buyers of the past few weeks seek training, it will be a miracle. They can't get it at any price right now in the parts of the country under government mandated lock downs.

Besides, in the past week many gun shops have sold completely out of ammo, and what's left is selling at premium prices.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
^^^ Good advice.

To the OP. Buy a bunch of cheap 9mm ball ammo and shoot your gun A LOT. When you're getting good groups on target, then ramp up to the "peppier" self defense ammo and shoot some of that to make sure it's reliable in your gun.

·
Premium Member
2,847 Posts
Handguns are compromises in regards to concealable carry, thus size, power & capacity are considerations. Myself, I favor the semiautomatic pistol in 9X19mm because it is deemed adequate for the application and besides that it is cost effective in regards to practice and self-defensive ammunition. Others like the 40S&W or 45ACP among others. I've never gotten into the 10mm and or Etc.. As for actual experience 45ACP in my Marine Corps days which are a long-long time in the past. Lesson learned the handgun is a supplements to a rifle which is primary. No war stories to follow.

As an example my EDC is a S&W Shield 9X19mm with a magazine capacity of 8 plus 1 in the chamber totals (9). There is a concept floated around in firearm periodicals' that minimum capacity should not be less than (10) round capacity. I've yet to see or read in writing validation of that preferred number. Recently in Shooting Illustrated (NRA-Publication) an article the authored stated that the average gun fight (3) to (4) rounds are fired. The problems with averages are more rounds or less rounds fired as opposed to the average may or may not be fired.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Handguns are compromises in regards to concealable carry, thus size, power & capacity are considerations. Myself, I favor the semiautomatic pistol in 9X19mm because it is deemed adequate for the application and besides that it is cost effective in regards to practice and self-defensive ammunition. Others like the 40S&W or 45ACP among others. I've never gotten into the 10mm and or Etc.. As for actual experience 45ACP in my Marine Corps days which are a long-long time in the past. Lesson learned the handgun is a supplements to a rifle which is primary. No war stories to follow.

As an example my EDC is a S&W Shield 9X19mm with a magazine capacity of 8 plus 1 in the chamber totals (9). There is a concept floated around in firearm periodicals' that minimum capacity should not be less than (10) round capacity. I've yet to see or read in writing validation of that preferred number. Recently in Shooting Illustrated (NRA-Publication) an article the authored stated that the average gun fight (3) to (4) rounds are fired. The problems with averages are more rounds or less rounds fired as opposed to the average may or may not be fired.
I have been reading the 3-4 shot stat for years and having watched countless videos of real life encounters and having witnessed a couple of guns a blazings in my younger years in NYC .. Unless it is cartel hitmen bent on executing you for stealing drugs .. bad guys usually bolt, even if in a group after a few shots are let off. The "us" mentality changes quickly when bullets start flying. Unless you are a LEO who is paid to stay in a protracted fight .. I just don't see why I need more than what is in my revolver.

I prefer more stout cartridges but its just a preference thing ... dance with the girl you brought and learn it well.

·
Registered
10,163 Posts
I find this is a great link for selecting self defense rounds.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#40SW

This link will take you to the .40 S&W data, the .45 ACP is further down, the .9mm and 380 results further up. I'm surprised at how many of the hollowpoints hardly expand at all! Then there's a .45 round that expands to a full INCH. Their site also has data now for .38 Special and .357 Magnum, but not on this particular link.

And, it turns out they sell ammo, too.

·
Super Moderator
31,828 Posts
If one out of 1,000 of the panic gun buyers of the past few weeks seek training, it will be a miracle. They can't get it at any price right now in the parts of the country under government mandated lock downs.
My opinion is most went out, bought a gun of whatever type, ONE box of ammo then will load it and think they have a magic wand or death ray and merely having will make them and their families safe.

·
Super Moderator
31,828 Posts
Well said,Wendy! Sadly, I think that’s true for most folks. Too much TV/ movies, too little education/practice. Hank
Very true! Then you get the ones who buy any firearm, they load it up and then never shoot it to get the feel of the recoil and the noice of the muzzle blast. TV and movies just think of how many of them out there show almost no kick when being fired and someone shoots the real thing and it is a surprise to them and muzzle blast may be worse because they are expecting a cap gun sound or one like when they shot a shooting gallery .22 at a county fair and then they fire off a .38, 9mm or worse a .357 and they are just shocked by it.

·
Registered
8,995 Posts
The Luger Parabellum pistol (so named because "Parabellum" was the telegraphic cable address of the DWM company in Berlin that made them) was the original pistol that used the 9mm Luger cartridge (9x19mm).

Here's more information that you'd probably ever want about the cartridge and it's variants:

https://cartridgecollectors.org/documents/Introduction-to-9mm-Luger-Cartridges.pdf

The Wikipedia article is pretty good too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9×19mm_Parabellum

Here's the current European specification for it:

https://www.cip-bobp.org/homologation/uploads/tdcc/tab-iv/tabivcal-en-page28.pdf

The SAAMI standards for the handgun cartridges that they standardize are here:

https://saami.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ANSI-SAAMI-Z299.3-CFP-and-R-Approved-2015-12-14-Posting-Copy.pdf

As they say, "tutorials R us!"
Para bellum is Latin for "prepare for war" and is often used within the context of the phrase Si vis pacem, para bellum, meaning "If you want peace, you should prepare for war".

Parabellum is commonly used to refer to the 9×19mm Parabellum firearms cartridge designed by Georg Luger and introduced in 1902 for the Luger pistol.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts