Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what yall think is a good shell for wild hogs. im lookin for something in the $10-20 that is good to take them down at close range.

I was also wondering what yall think is the best just overall shell for $10-20. I heard Blazers are pretty accurate and reliable for my sigma 9mm.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I would be so bold as to say that the 9mm round is woefully inadequate for hogs larger than a 75 pound Javelina.

Even then, I wouldn't use a Hollow Point. You need lots of penetration and even the heaviest hollow points are not designed to give you more than 8-12".

I would think you'd be better off with a much larger caliber if the hogs are more than 100 lbs and running wild (As opposed to shooting a penned animal prior to slaughter).

Good Luck.

Drew

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Eight to twelve inches of penetration is all you need if you're gonna' shoot them under the eye, but in agreement with SS that there are many, many calibers that would do a much better job. If you only have that one pistol make sure your shots are well placed and if it's going to be a body shot, a soft nose would work better. I've never shot a hog with a 9mm but have had good luck with a .45 Colt and a .44 magnum. Those will usually get you a DRT (dead right there) hog.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Speaking from practical experience, you'll need two good rounds if you go after a Boar with a 9mm. The first to shoot the boar and make it mad and the second for you before it gets to you. Not trying to be flip but, a 9mm is woefully inadequate for Boar.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
THE biggest complaint of the 9mm was its totaly PENETRATION.So I would be happy to try that round IF close enough to place a kill shot.Best of luck and let us know how many you kill !.

·
Super Moderator
32,484 Posts
Welcome to the forum, cdj. I did enjoy the replies you got...we do have members here with great senses of humor. The one thing I know about wild hogs is that they can be big and very dangerous. I think that is why you got some of the humorous replies on the caliber you want to use.

Honestly, if I was going to hunt wild hog I would either be carrying my M-1 Garand or my fiances Marlin 1895 lever action in .45-70.

The most powerful handguns I own are all in .357 Magnum(more than a little more powerful than 9MM) and they would advise that the .357 is considered marginal if not underpowered for wild hog.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
To have a "good" 9mm hog gun, one must file down the front sight.

That way it won't hurt quite so much when the hog takes the gun away from you and sticks it up your butt.

Welcome to the forum...

·
Super Moderator
10,855 Posts
Alphonso said:
To have a "good" 9mm hog gun, one must file down the front sight.

That way it won't hurt quite so much when the hog takes the gun away from you and sticks it up your butt.

Welcome to the forum...
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol good replies. I was more asking as a just incase experience. I use a .270 and that takes em down easy enough. But at a $1 a shell id rather end their misery for 20 cents.

thanks everyone

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
cdj588 said:
I was wondering what yall think is a good shell for wild hogs. im lookin for something in the $10-20 that is good to take them down at close range.

I was also wondering what yall think is the best just overall shell for $10-20. I heard Blazers are pretty accurate and reliable for my sigma 9mm.
If you want to use a 9mm., you might as well forget it. At a minimum, I would use a rifle in .30 caliber or more. In a handgun, nothing smaller than a .44 mag.!!! They can absorb a lot of punishment, and still try to kill you!!!! Bob

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I've heard there are some guys down around here that hunt feral hogs with a few dogs and a knife! 'Course there's lots of things some folks do around here that I wouldn't necessarily like to try! nfiofnp

·
Registered
10,425 Posts
Alphonso said:
spotteddog said:
nfiofnp
Oh, quit being so melodramatic!
All ya' needs a good long sharp stick?
Will a dowel work?

I was wondering how long it would take for the much-ballyhooed wooden dowel to make an appearance! nfiofnp

·
Registered
19,776 Posts
I once watched Tred Barta, on TV, kill a pig with a knife......a big knife!!!! :shock: Oh.....and bring an extra pair of shorts!!! :lol: Bob

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Macho stuff aside,if its a kill shot and you have a steady shot at close range and use ball ammo - the 9 X 19 will go in as far as a KNIFE would.And you get to stand back a few feet too.Not my first or even second choice as I have options.But can be done .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Google "hog hunting tips" to find out what experienced hunters use for hogs.

Hogs are like the 2 legged varmints; you don't know what size you might encounter. If you are enter their territory, don't go undergunned.

·
Super Moderator
19,366 Posts
Wait a minute youall',
Wouldn't a 9 work on Miss Piggy?
You can use the Dowel on Kermit.
Just sharpen the end for giggin'

Just Kiddin' don't want to upset the little ones

1 - 20 of 20 Posts