Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a .250 height HI Viz sight and installed. That solved my shoots way high issue. In fact, I had to run the rear sight up 3 clicks to get centered. The Hi Viz is way better than what came on the revolver. The light tube is bigger and much brighter. Only issue I had was the tail of the sight was so long it hit the top of the barrel and prevented me from getting the sight down far enough to get under the retaining pin. A little work with a small file fixed that.
I also ordered some 7 round moon clips from Ranch products. They are spring steel and work well. I don't know what the 2 clips that came with the gun are for. 9mm rounds just fall out. .38 super are a little better, but still not usable.
BTW, accuracy was good with some factory 124 and 147 grain rounds and some of my 147 grain reloads. Not great, but in the 2 - 2.5-inch range. Maybe I can do better next time out. Guess I have a keeper now.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Glad to hear!

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Good to hear you got that cleared up... when I read your post about the height of the front sight that came on your gun, it had me scratching my head, with mine from the factory being a .250" sight.

Accuracy wise... that seems to be par for the course with a 986. I've not been able to coax target grade accuracy out of mine.

Reactions: Oldgungeezer
1 - 5 of 5 Posts