Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got me a 986 last week. Ftf due to light primer strikes. Will the tension screw under grips fix my problem or am I looking at something more in depth? I've not messed with it since I shot. Just curious.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Depends on if the screw is loose or not. If it is tightened down tight then the problem is elsewhere. If it is loose that may very well be the problem
Havent messed with it since you WHAT?...I am guessing SHOT

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Hillary Hole Gun !!! Might be the problem is the strain screw is tight

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
On the 986, it is especially critical to keep the strain screw tight. The 986 comes with a Performance Center mainspring, which is nothing more than a Wolff power rib reduced power mainspring.

The tip of the strain screw rides in the recess of the rib on the mainspring, versus a flat surface of a stock mainspring. On these guns, a longer strain screw is used to compensate for that recess. S&W has a balancing act going between the length of that screw and the tension of the mainspring, which makes it even more essential to keep the strain screw cinched down.

On my own 986, I added additional insurance against FTF's by replacing the stock firing pin with an APEX extended length firing pin kit, that includes a reduce power firing pin spring.

Reactions: Mule60

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to ask, what ammo were you using when you got the light strikes? It may have worked as it was with ammo that had softer primers (i.e. Federal.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I will make this short. Bought 986 5" barrel in July. Thought it was made by the Performance Center like it says on their website. Nope. Designed by the Performance Center. However, the 2 1/2 " and Micilek 7 1/2" are made in the Performace Center. Shot 150 rounds with no problem. Went to the range two weeks later and had several misfires (light strikes) in the first 2 seven round moon clips. Over the next week I changed ammo six times using every major brand and all had misfires. Called Smith and sent them the gun. Received it back three weeks later. They said they tightened the strain screw and adjusted the yoke. Went to the range and it misfired the third time I pulled the trigger. Missed again the fifth time. Went to local gunsmith of more than 40 years. He removed the grips and saw that one of the tabs at the top of the mainspring was broken off. No loose part anywhere. Must have broken before or while at the factory. You would think they would noticed that, huh? He shook his head and replaced the spring and off I went to the range. Misfired the second time I pulled the trigger. The factory told me to send it back. If they couldn't fix it the first time, why would I? Asked about replacing the gun and they balked at that. So, now I have a $1100 boat anchor. And, yes--the strain screw was tightened all the way against the mainspring when it was at the factory. So, do I have the gunsmith try to alter the gun or send it to the factory because that worked out so well the first time???? I guess this wasn't so short.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I will make this short. Bought 986 5" barrel in July. Thought it was made by the Performance Center like it says on their website. Nope. Designed by the Performance Center. However, the 2 1/2 " and Micilek 7 1/2" are made in the Performace Center. Shot 150 rounds with no problem. Went to the range two weeks later and had several misfires (light strikes) in the first 2 seven round moon clips. Over the next week I changed ammo six times using every major brand and all had misfires. Called Smith and sent them the gun. Received it back three weeks later. They said they tightened the strain screw and adjusted the yoke. Went to the range and it misfired the third time I pulled the trigger. Missed again the fifth time. Went to local gunsmith of more than 40 years. He removed the grips and saw that one of the tabs at the top of the mainspring was broken off. No loose part anywhere. Must have broken before or while at the factory. You would think they would noticed that, huh? He shook his head and replaced the spring and off I went to the range. Misfired the second time I pulled the trigger. The factory told me to send it back. If they couldn't fix it the first time, why would I? Asked about replacing the gun and they balked at that. So, now I have a $1100 boat anchor. And, yes--the strain screw was tightened all the way against the mainspring when it was at the factory. So, do I have the gunsmith try to alter the gun or send it to the factory because that worked out so well the first time???? I guess this wasn't so short.
I am making some guesses but I had read that Performance center guns are equipped with a Wolf Style spring. This spring has an indent that runs its length. So I didn't have a boat anchor I would take a look. If it is a wolf style spring replace it with a factory flat spring and see if that cures it. Replacing the hammer spring is a very easy operation. I can dig your being upset but this time take a look yourself. No one is going to care about your stuff as much as you which is why whenever I can I do my own work.

I am a little shocked a hook was missing from the spring and no one noticed.

Here is a pic of the wolf spring. I understand Smith uses a version of this in performance guns but I cant swear.

PowerRib.JPG

and here is the non performance spring

s-l400.jpg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I've got the broken spring in hand. There is a center channel running the length of the broken spring.
I have read a bunch of people having trouble with those .. and of course there are probably many that run them with no problem. Were I you .. put a WTB here or your local gun boards ... a lot of guys swap out their stock springs for Wilson, Wolf or other and if they are like me the stock parts go into the ever increasing box O parts.

It should be dirt cheap its a breeze to install and I am pretty sure your problem will be solved. Now it will increase the weight some but .. it should run.

·
Administrator
8,064 Posts
Maybe I should try Gunhacker's idea about replacing the firing pin. By the way, how old do you have to be to become a senior member? I believe I passed the senior mark long ago.
It's not based on the age of the member but rather the number of posts.

·
Premium Member
2,794 Posts
Maybe I should try Gunhacker's idea about replacing the firing pin. By the way, how old do you have to be to become a senior member? I believe I passed the senior mark long ago.
In my previous post I said:

"The tip of the strain screw rides in the recess of the rib on the mainspring, versus a flat surface of a stock mainspring. On these guns, a longer strain screw is used to compensate for that recess. S&W has a balancing act going between the length of that screw and the tension of the mainspring".

You said your gunsmith replaced the broken spring... with what, a regular flat main spring?

In doing so that eliminates the rib recess, that requires using a longer strain screw to properly tension the mainspring. If he left that longer strain screw in after replacing the mainspring with a flat one, tightening the strain screw down all the way like it's supposed to be, would have resulted in too much tensioning of the mainspring and a really heavy pull... unless he left the screw backed out to adjust the tension, instead of installing a shorter strain screw to adjust to the non-ribbed mainspring.

Check to see if the strain screw can be screwed in further, if so there's your answer regarding the FTF's. But not the permanent solution.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
Senior member????? AHH....you got to be at least old enough to drink!!!!!! ;) Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Wolf spring is identical to the broken spring I have. Unfortunately, I dropped the gun off at the gunsmith shop on the way home from the range yesterday and I did not look at the mainspring he had installed. All he told me was that he replaced the original with one he had at the shop. There was no discernible difference in the trigger pull so I'm assuming he used a Wolf spring. He was going to get back to me the beginning of the week. I will share your suggestions. Thank you! The gun is a joy to shoot when it fires.

I will keep you all informed. I moved to Florida from Minnesota so I think I skipped over the "y'all" states.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts