Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 9 shield ez and I’m wondering if anyone else is having issues with certain ammo. I tried to load Federal Premium Personal Defense HST jacketed hollow points with no luck. I had a hard time to get the round to load from the clip and when it did it would not fit fully in the chamber. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Some guns simply do not like some kinds of ammunition. And a lot of guns refuse to work with various brands of JHP - until the gun gets broken in and then for some reason they will feed fine. Forget about that brand of JHP and use decent round nose for a couple hundred rounds.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Those seem to be problematic in some 9 EZ's. It's usually just the first round in the mag. Try slingshotting the slide, bumping the slide when it hangs, loading the mag into the gun with the slide open or loading one less round in the mag. If none of those work or are unacceptable to you you can send it back to S&W, use a different self defense ammo or sell it and buy something else.

Reactions: mrmike7189

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sorry for the long post. Perhaps you may find some of this helpful, though.

I have 6 magazines for my EZ9, all S&W factory mags.

In my first range session with my brand new EZ9, I shot 40 rounds, using 5 mags (I didn't have #6 yet). I had several failure to feeds. Unfortunately, I did not take any notes, but it seemed to be mostly one ammo brand (I shot several).

After that first range session, I decided to do a more organized test session, keeping a log. This time I shot 200 rounds using 10 different brands. 6 brands of FMJs and 4 brands of JHPs. I cycled through all 6 magazines 4 times (one 5 times).

Out of the 200 rounds shot, there were 18 FTFs. Based on the log, it seemed to be one particular brand was an issue (Federal American Eagle 115 Gr FMJ had 12 of the 18 FTFs) and it also seemed the FTFs increased once the gun got a bit dirty. In this test, all of the JHP performed flawlessly (Speer Gold Dot Carry Gun 135 Gr JHP, Ruag Ammotec Self-Defense 124 Grain JHP, Winchester Silvertip 147 Grains JHP, Winchester Defender 147 Grains JHP). Also, the ammo that I thought was the problem in the first range session performed flawlessly in this test.

So, I did a second test session, with fewer variables see if the FTFs did increase as the gun got dirtier.

I used only Winchester Target (White Box) 115 Grain FMJ, which had performed flawlessly in the above test, so the ammo type would not be a factor. I put 192 rounds through the gun to see if FTF correlated at all with how dirty the gun became. (This was a complete cycle through all 6 mags 4 times.). In this test, there were 23 FTFs out of 192 rounds fired.

Some conclusions / observations from this last test:
  1. FTFs were in the top half of the magazine (no FTF in any mag after 3 rounds had been fired).
  2. All FTFs were the round getting hung up on the feed ramp.
  3. All FTFs were cleared by a solid smack on the bottom of the mag.
  4. The FTFs did NOT increase significantly as the gun got dirty.
  5. All of the FTFs were in 4 of the 6 mags.
  6. Mags 1 and 2 performed flawlessly
  7. Mag 6 had 1 FTF out of 32 rounds
  8. Mag 3 had 2 FTFs out of 32 rounds
  9. Mag 5 had 9 FTFs out of 32 rounds (28%)
  10. Mag 4 had 11 FTFs out of 32 rounds (34%)
Therefore, my conclusion is I have a magazine problem, not an ammo problem, or a dirty gun problem, with magazines 4 and 5 being particularly bad actors.

Just FYI. I don't know if or how this may relate to your situation.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
SE,

Thank you for your excellent post.

You posted all mags are S&W factory mags, but can you tell if there's a different mfg, like some are made for S&W at different locations or...?

Personally, of the 2 mags the gun comes with, I've not had a single issue with my EZ 9mm and have used different cartridges, but mostly 147 grain Speer Lawman without a single FTF or FTE.

I wish now I had paid more attention to mfgs and kept a log like you, but given I had zero issues it simply didn't occur to me.

At this point, I'm going to rough guess I've shot it about 150/200 rounds through it.

I will from this point, start logging what and how much and what mfg I shoot, though come to think of it I've only shot FMJ's and will need to sling a few JHP's to be certain it'll digest them properly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You posted all mags are S&W factory mags, but can you tell if there's a different mfg, like some are made for S&W at different locations or...?
All 6 mags look identical to me. Same color follower, same base plate, same logo, everything.

Personally, of the 2 mags the gun comes with, I've not had a single issue with my EZ 9mm and have used different cartridges, but mostly 147 grain Speer Lawman without a single FTF or FTE....
I bought my EZ in the deal that included a small bag and 3 extra mags (total of 5).

Oddly, the 2 mags that have performed perfectly throughout are the two that came with the gun in the box. Mags 3, 4, and 5 were the extra ones included with the bag. Mag 6 is one I bought myself.

I wish now I had paid more attention to mfgs and kept a log like you, but given I had zero issues it simply didn't occur to me.

At this point, I'm going to rough guess I've shot it about 150/200 rounds through it.

I will from this point, start logging what and how much and what mfg I shoot, though come to think of it I've only shot FMJ's and will need to sling a few JHP's to be certain it'll digest them properly.
Let us know your results. I found (as you read in my post) that neither of my first explanations for the FTFs proved to be correct.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have a Glock 26 that also had problems loading federal 124 grain HST 9mm hollowpoints. It only happened a few times with ammo from same box. I still use HST's and my Glock 26 will digest them to this day . I think that the particular box I had the ammo was out of spec. They did look much longer than the other 9mm ammo I was shooting.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Probably irrelevant but my wife has a 9 EZ that hasn't had a FTF but all she's shot out of it is FMJ.

·
Registered
96 Posts
compare the length of some ammo side by side and you'll notice if one is longer than the other, it may have trouble feeding. Polishing the feed ramp of your new pistol might also help with feeding. I wouldnt blame the gun being that it is brand new, it may need time to "break in" as they say. If you continue to have problems with different brands of ammo then it would be time to send it back to S&W.

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
The EZ series from S&W appears to be a cost reduced version of their pistols. I have had students in my classes experience jams with this firearm on their first usage brand new out of the box. There are numerous reports of problems with them similar to those mentioned in this thread.

A handgun used for self defense must be absolutely reliable. Ammo sensitivity with commonly manufactured commercial ammunition that meets SAAMI standard specifications is a serious defect in a firearm's design, manufacture or both.

In an actual self defense situation, your life may be dependent upon the reliability of your firearm. For that reason, including jams that none of the instructor or range safety officer team were unable to clear, I do not recommend the S&W EZ series of handguns.

These are based upon personal experiences and not anecdotes. The full M&P series, including the M&P Shield (after correction of problems in the initial version 1 batch) are all fine, and I own a full size M&P 9mm and 9mm Shield myself.

Firearms sold in the USA are supposed to comply with SAAMI standards, as well as function reliability with ammunition manufactured to SAAMI specifications. I suggest you contact S&W and your ammunition manufacturer and request that both make their products function reliably. If you're not satisfied with their responses, find another firearm that will work reliably.

While we are are a forum of S&W enthusiasts here, we're not here to defend them in any way.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased a 9mm Shield EZ in mid January. Since that time, I have put approximately 500 round of various FMJ through the gun and have experienced a significant number of failure to feeds. Unlike like as mentioned in a previous post, it was not only with the first 3 round of the magazine. I cleaned and the gun and let it "break in". I would estimate that 90% of the magazines had at least one failure to feed. Finally, I sent the gun back to Smith And Wesson in which they received on March 5th. I gave them a couple of weeks and called today for an update. Smith And Wesson told me not to call them for 6-8 weeks after they received the gun. I agree that a personal carry gun needs to be very reliable . I find 8 weeks for turn around is a little long. Is this normal for most gun manufacturers? So far I would say that I made a mistake with my purchase.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd like to update my results from my latest range test with my EZ9 and the 6 S&W factory magazines and failure to feeds.

Recall in my earlier test, I had 2 magazines that had FTFs in the range of 30% (mags #4 and #5) and two mags with FTFs in the range of 5% (mags #3 and #6). Magazines #1 and #2 had no FTFs. My overall conclusion was I had a magazine problem, not an ammo or gun problem.

From a helpful suggestion by a member of another forum, I did some polishing and smoothing.

Even though I could not feel any roughness in the magazines or mag lips, I bought a sharpening stone ... Dan's (brand) Soft Arkansas pocket sharpening stone (medium grade). I took mags 3, 4, 5, & 6 apart and smoothed the interior of the mags, the lips, and the followers.

Second, just for good measure, I polished the feed ramp in the gun with Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish.

In my range session yesterday, I put 48 rounds each through mag 4 & 5, 32 rounds each for 3 & 6, and 8 rounds each through 1 & 2. I used 92 rounds of Winchester Target 115 Grain FMJ and 84 rounds of STV Scorpio 124 Grain FMJ, for a total of 176 rounds.

I had zero issues. No failures to feed.

Bottom line: it is now a reliable carry gun (IMO) for any of the 6 magazines. If anyone is having failures to feed with their EZ 9mm, I'd suggest focusing on the magazines as the first thing rather than ammo or the gun.

It is annoying that S&W's magazine manufacturer produces product that is not ready to shoot out of the box, but it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'd like to update my results from my latest range test with my EZ9 and the 6 S&W factory magazines and failure to feeds.
It is annoying that S&W's magazine manufacturer produces product that is not ready to shoot out of the box, but it is an easy fix.
On the Ruger Forum is is "almost" understood that you have to spend hours "tuning up" new magazines for the new Mark IV's. I went through it with all 5 of the mags for my Mark IV Lite.

It is totally disgusting that brand new magazines have to be fixed in order to make them worth. After all, they are not priced at $5 each -- like they should be if we have to finish manufacturing them to make them work!

·
Registered
67 Posts
On the Ruger Forum is is "almost" understood that you have to spend hours "tuning up" new magazines for the new Mark IV's. I went through it with all 5 of the mags for my Mark IV Lite.

It is totally disgusting that brand new magazines have to be fixed in order to make them worth. After all, they are not priced at $5 each -- like they should be if we have to finish manufacturing them to make them work!
For the S&W EZ9 mags, it was annoying for me for two reasons:
  1. I went through hundreds of rounds trying to determine the problem, when a simple advisory note in the package (similar to the note that you should clean your new pistol before shooting) would have saved me a lot of time and money.
  2. Modern manufacturing processes should make this unnecessary, though. I realize S&W buys-out their mags, but they should tighten up the specs and inspection requirements. I agree, at $35-40 per, we should not have to do the final finishing work.
From start to finish (disassembly, smoothing, reassembly) it only took me about 15-20 minutes per mag, not hours.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will update my experience on the EZ. As mentioned before, I would get a failure to feed on at least one round of a magazine at least 90% of the time. I sent to smith and Wesson. They sent the gun back stating that they repaired the extractor. I don't know about that. What I do know is that they replaced the spring to a much stiffer spring. Not so much of an EZ now (although easier than my P365). I went to the range today, and had 0 failure to feed issues. Gun worked perfectly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for sharing these results.

Sorry for the long post. Perhaps you may find some of this helpful, though.

I have 6 magazines for my EZ9, all S&W factory mags.

In my first range session with my brand new EZ9, I shot 40 rounds, using 5 mags (I didn't have #6 yet). I had several failure to feeds. Unfortunately, I did not take any notes, but it seemed to be mostly one ammo brand (I shot several).

After that first range session, I decided to do a more organized test session, keeping a log. This time I shot 200 rounds using 10 different brands. 6 brands of FMJs and 4 brands of JHPs. I cycled through all 6 magazines 4 times (one 5 times).

Out of the 200 rounds shot, there were 18 FTFs. Based on the log, it seemed to be one particular brand was an issue (Federal American Eagle 115 Gr FMJ had 12 of the 18 FTFs) and it also seemed the FTFs increased once the gun got a bit dirty. In this test, all of the JHP performed flawlessly (Speer Gold Dot Carry Gun 135 Gr JHP, Ruag Ammotec Self-Defense 124 Grain JHP, Winchester Silvertip 147 Grains JHP, Winchester Defender 147 Grains JHP). Also, the ammo that I thought was the problem in the first range session performed flawlessly in this test.

So, I did a second test session, with fewer variables see if the FTFs did increase as the gun got dirtier.

I used only Winchester Target (White Box) 115 Grain FMJ, which had performed flawlessly in the above test, so the ammo type would not be a factor. I put 192 rounds through the gun to see if FTF correlated at all with how dirty the gun became. (This was a complete cycle through all 6 mags 4 times.). In this test, there were 23 FTFs out of 192 rounds fired.

Some conclusions / observations from this last test:
  1. FTFs were in the top half of the magazine (no FTF in any mag after 3 rounds had been fired).
  2. All FTFs were the round getting hung up on the feed ramp.
  3. All FTFs were cleared by a solid smack on the bottom of the mag.
  4. The FTFs did NOT increase significantly as the gun got dirty.
  5. All of the FTFs were in 4 of the 6 mags.
  6. Mags 1 and 2 performed flawlessly
  7. Mag 6 had 1 FTF out of 32 rounds
  8. Mag 3 had 2 FTFs out of 32 rounds
  9. Mag 5 had 9 FTFs out of 32 rounds (28%)
  10. Mag 4 had 11 FTFs out of 32 rounds (34%)
Therefore, my conclusion is I have a magazine problem, not an ammo problem, or a dirty gun problem, with magazines 4 and 5 being particularly bad actors.

Just FYI. I don't know if or how this may relate to your situation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts