Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
The Model 88 Winchester was great lever action rifle and I have always had one on my wish list. I especially like the removable magazine and that with the trigger moving with the lever would prevent the possibility of jamming your trigger finger on a quick repeat shot.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Those 88's were a great piece of engineering that never quite took hold like they should have. Kind of a cross between the solid works of a bolt action & the speed of a lever. It should serve you well.

·
Registered
10,155 Posts
Pop handed me down his Model 88 - post '64 make however. Action is smooth, and the bolt lockup looks just like a regular bolt action one. This one is chambered in .308. had the barrel threaded for a suppressor. Works good.

Win Mod 88 216749A.JPG

Looks like yours is pre'64? Also .308? Nice looking for sure!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you everyone for the kind words.
Jonesy it's a .308. Scott, I believe it was made in '67. I just wanted to put an older style scope on it, and the old Redfield Widefield design is what stuck in my head.
Here's a pic of the whole gun, but before I found the scope.
Resized_20190921_145945.jpeg

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
FYI pre-64 stocks were real checkering, post 64's were impressed acorn and basket weave. When carbines came out, like sdismukes, they were not checkered.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've also read that the quality (hardness) of the walnut was changed to a softer grade to accommodate the stamped basket pattern. I remember that the one Grandpa had was cut checkering.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts