Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching an auction for a NIB 1967 1911 on GB over the last couple of weeks. I've recently started looking for a nice pre-70 series gun and this one was exceptional, and born the same year I was. I was thinking about bidding, but things quickly spiraled out of my tax bracket... and it sold for $8025!! :eek:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/858360816

For those of you who follow values on post-war commercial 1911s, is this an outlier??

If not, I might have to settle for a 70 series... :p

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Auctions have a life of their own. All you need are two people with deep pockets and the price soars. Worth it?? For those two people,yes. Does it elevate the honest "market value" of the item to those levels? Thats a tough question to answer. For today..maybe. Tomorrow?? Anybodys guess..until the next auction. 1911s seem to be all over the map lately. My local gun store has a govt. Vietnam era one he insists is worth $3k. Hmm..

·
Registered
12,816 Posts
People who auction bid (in my view) are either stupid rich or just plain stupid. Example, I bid on a lightly used Kuhn gyro rake on Tractor house (I'm a registered bidder there, always looking for a goodbargain, hardly ever find one) and I bid it at $6500.00. New it's around nine. I always bid my top amount and let the auction site incrementally bid it up.

Anyway, my 6500 stood until about 20 minutes before the close of the auction and someone with no sense and too much money out bid me and upped the price to $9500 which is above retail. Crazy. They had to also pay a buyers premium of 10%. Bought a new one from a local Kuhn dealer and he gave me a deal, 8500 otd and delivered it to boot.

People are amazingly stupid, even farmers.If I'm gonna pay 8500 clams for any firearm, it's gonna be a custom built just for me one.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Superb, Outstanding, Vintage, Rare, Gorgeous, Very Rare, Extremely Rare., Scarce, Stunning, Magnificent

BARF!
Basically
Another
Rare
Firearm. :lol:

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Well,,,,,,, it is about as nice as it could be.
I think what you are seeing is the pointed difference between what most of us are , a focused accumulator ,as opposed to a deep pocket high end collector .
What a true high end connoisseur will pay to curate a definitive collection will never make sense to us mere mortals , Be it art , cars , jewelry or even guns . Some times you must just sit back and be amazed.

Second point that may not sit so well here.
That Colt is not an unusual gun . Actually quite common when it was made. What sets it apart is the condition.
It is a bit of a statement regarding the philosophy that "every gun must be shot " and " shooting them will not hurt them".
Nope shooting them will not hurt them BUT,,,,, once shot they will never do this in an auction.

Once again it's not craziness or stupidity , it's just the difference between Us and Them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well,,,,,,, it is about as nice as it could be.
I think what you are seeing is the pointed difference between what most of us are , a focused accumulator ,as opposed to a deep pocket high end collector .
What a true high end connoisseur will pay to curate a definitive collection will never make sense to us mere mortals , Be it art , cars , jewelry or even guns . Some times you must just sit back and be amazed.

Second point that may not sit so well here.
That Colt is not an unusual gun . Actually quite common when it was made. What sets it apart is the condition.
It is a bit of a statement regarding the philosophy that "every gun must be shot " and " shooting them will not hurt them".
Nope shooting them will not hurt them BUT,,,,, once shot they will never do this in an auction.

Once again it's not craziness or stupidity , it's just the difference between Us and Them.
This is where I think I'm at on this... the NIB condition took this particular gun to a whole 'nuther level.

I fully understand auction mentality, and always set a mental limit on what I'm willing to pay for a particular gun. It's interesting to watch, though, and I've seen a number of used guns sell for more than they are available for new which is a little mystifying. Some people just don't care, I guess...

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
I would imagine that there are Colt collectors that can't understand the prices that S&W collectors pay for a Registered Magnum or a K32 (model 16).

Not knowing all the nuances of Colt 1911's, there could very well be a valid reason, but I'm with others... 8K seems to be at the edge of common sense. I bet there's a thread over on the Colt forum about that auction, it would be interesting to see what their take is on it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm not a collector and am not interested in buying a gun I'm not going to shoot. A lot.
8K will buy a lot of guns, but I don't have that kind of disposable income. That Colt reminds me of the guy who paid $70K for a bottle of champagne, and the reporter asked him what he was going to do with it. "Drink it," he replied. I guess I'm not in that category of people.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I would imagine that there are Colt collectors that can't understand the prices that S&W collectors pay for a Registered Magnum or a K32 (model 16).

Not knowing all the nuances of Colt 1911's, there could very well be a valid reason, but I'm with others... 8K seems to be at the edge of common sense. I bet there's a thread over on the Colt forum about that auction, it would be interesting to see what their take is on it.
The sky's the limit for RM's but decent Mod 16's can be had for a lot less than $8k.

If I were rollin' in dough I would be tempted by this (which IIRC also went for $8k)

Factory Nickel 4 screw 5" Pre 29
Nickel Pre 29 2.png
Nickel Pre 29 1.png

I'd be too tempted to shoot it though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts