Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was admiring DHENRY's Registered Magnum over in the 1857 to 1945 forum.

(PICTURE BY AND CREDIT TO DHENRY)

That has to be the "Grand-daddy" of all long barreled N frames. I like the 8 & 3/8th length in an N frame the best. That big frame and long barrel just looks right.

I don't have anything NEAR that nice but I do have a coupla' 3 screws to post up.

27-2 & 29-2

So what do you think? Like 'em or not?

(And thanks to DHENRY for a geat picture AND STORY.)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've got no need for an 8 3/8" barrelled N frame. I carry most of my Smiths in the field, and given that I'm only 5'8" tall I am afraid the muzzle might drag on the ground. :lol:

Seriously though, there is a fellow .41 nut at the range I go to. He has the 8 3/8" barrel 57, and I've got the 4". Whenever I shoot his, it does take a good long while to get the smile off my face. They are fun.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I like 'em. I'm an old Bullseye shooter and the long barrel is just about the right length for these old eyes of mine. I can still get a good sight picture and I can actually focus on a clear, sharp front sight without using spectacles. Good looking duo you've got there.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have one, a 29-3. Its the gun I keep asking myself why I don't shoot more often. Its peculiar in the way that it is the one revolver I find hardest to shoot, hardest to hold motionless-aimed, while at the same time when I shoot it and nail the target exactly where I aimed, this is the gun that I know best of all that I just nailed it exactly before the recoil and muzzle flip from the shot end. I am surest with this handgun more so than any other. Its slow single action fire for me, but I'd have to say hands down it is the best shooting 29 I own.

·
Administrator
8,097 Posts
I'm a fan of the long barrels, too. They're just fun to shoot.

I like the extra heft also.. helps the control a little with the mag calibers. At least, it does with me.

·
Registered
10,918 Posts
Unlike QC, my eyes and my newest specs do not care for the long barrels with open sights. My old pair of glasses lets the front sight come in focus if I hold my head just right {bi focals} and shoot away at 50, 75 and even 100 yds with this 25-5

·
Registered
753 Posts
I also enjoy the long barrels. Mine is a 629-1 44 magnum. This one has the factory milling on top of the barrel to hold a set of rings. I have the 1" rings, but I never tried to mount a scope to it.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I can remember when I first started collecting Smith & Wesson in the very early 1970's that if you had an 8 3/8" Model of anything people would drop by just to see it. My Older Brother paid $550 for his first 29, a Nickle 8 3/8" NIB. Was 1973 as I recall, and that price was more than twice MSRP. Here's the kicker... he shot it, didn't like it and not long afterward SOLD IT AT A PROFIT.

4" Guns were readily available then and usually not at the 'gouger' prices.

My how times and tastes have changed.

Today, the Long-Nosed N-Frames seem to be the only real bargains in -2 guns, and 'Belt Length' 4" Guns are hot..... Up until the shorter barrels became scarce, I used to buy the 8 3/8" guns and put 4" tubes on them and still made money on the deal.... I still have several of the spare 8 3/8" barrels around here.....

Drew

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I bought the 8 and three eighths inch magnums because magnums get performance from increased velocity, and all things being equal a longer barrel means more velocity. When I bought them I had better than 20-20 vision, aging fixed that. Like Quarter Cherokee, the longer sight radius is kinder to aging eyes.
And Cush, I emphasize with you as I am also of short stature, and lugging a 8 and three eighths Smith through the woods was a somewhat improvement over lugging my former 10 inch Ruger Blackhawk.

Carl, I really appreciate your comment about extra heft. It was reminiscent of a quote I made to a dealer who handed me a model 19, while I was ogling a pre mod. 27, 3 and a half inch - "I'd prefer something with a little more heft to it."

I currently have two long barrels, a 4 screw model 29 and a 8 and three quarter inch barrel registered Smith, made in 1937. I'd rate it at 98% and it came with a H.H. heiser holster. Set me back $120.oo, those were the good old days.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
You just gotta pack the long barrels in a shoulder holster.Im only 5'8" myself with a thirty inch inseam.I strapped my uncles 8 3/8
model 29 on and felt like I had a splint on my leg.All my guns are 6 and 6.5 and ride ok in a hip holster.But I would like to get a redhawk with a four inch barrel to take over as a woods protection gun.Loaded up with ruger only unpleasant nasty anti bear loads.
I like they way the long barrels shoot though and wouldnt pass up a good deal on one.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Don't recall who said it first, but here goes:
"The more things change, the more they remain the same."
Here's my favorite, late-model, old 'walking stick', from 1960.
It's a M-29 'no dash', and it's one of only two guns I own that haven't been fired since they left Springfield.
Don
;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DHENRY if you have another pic or two of that 29 layin' around I'd sure like to see them. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Drew, Just happened to read again your comments on the long barrel N-frames. You mentioned the early seventies, I recall the movie "Dirty Harry" came out in 1971, with Clint Eastwood brandishing a long barreled
S&W 44 Magnum - "The most powerful handgun in the world." Dealers had a hard time keeping them on the shelves because of demand. I forget the price pre-Dirty Harry, but it doubled as the demand outstripped the supply. I paid $450.oo for a six and a half inch nickled 29 and later got a 4 inch (on sale) for $290.oo. A lotta would be Dirty Harrys soon had their 29's up for sale after they had touched off a few rounds that left them with ringing ears and shaking hands. That movie set off a short lived craze that boosted prices; a fact that must have got Smith and Wesson's interest.

Hank

·
Registered
9 Posts
[ I recall the movie "Dirty Harry" came out in 1971, with Clint Eastwood brandishing a long barreled S&W 44 Magnum - "The most powerful handgun in the world." ]
Like this one? 'S' prefix 29-2 6-1/2"

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Exactly Steve, as I remember it was a six and a half inch barrel, not an eight and three eighths tube, used by Inspector Harry Callahan. After Dirty Harry it seemed everyone wanted a model 29.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like the long nosed S&W revolvers too, but I like all the older S&W revolvers.

Here's a picture of a 8 3/8" one I have.

Top one is a pre-27 8 3/8". The lower one is a M 27 no dash that happens to be in this picture

Regards:
Rod

1 - 20 of 30 Posts