Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up last October (2012) for $375.00. It was a good deal and I have to say it's a very accurate pistol. I had planned on trading it for something "better, but instead I'm keeping it. I'm not a big pistol guy. Revolvers are my favorite, but this one is staying with me. The troll was a birthday gift from my kids many years ago. He's also a keeper.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
That's a nice one alright! Oh yeah, I like the pistol too! :D:D:D

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Nice looking gun .

I've been pondering a 645 off and on for a while .

There's just " no room at the inn " presently ........

Regards
George

·
Super Moderator
19,409 Posts
Nice looking pistol. I don't have any Smith 45's yet. But I'm sure there will be one or two in my future.
You've got a pretty good selection of the Smith pistols in your collection.
We appreciate you're sharing these with us. Keep up the good work. We'll try to catch up as best we can.

Regards,
Gearchecker

·
Registered
8,899 Posts
I have his half Brother the S&W 645 and it is just a fun gun to shoot. It will digest just about any ammo I feed it and always comes back for more.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't believe that it would feed all different types of loads and even empty casings. Not until I loaded up a magazine with empty 45ACP cases and preceded to work the slide. It fed every single case. I then tried it with a fellow officer's Glock 21. Instant fail to feed. Tried it with a Kimber. Same thing. Amazing.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
OP, you stole that 745!. I paid over 6 for mine about 3 months ago and felt OK with the deal. It is very accurate but the trigger on mine was a little too heavy so it went to a gunsmith and it is now much better. Still miss the 645 I was talked out of a few years ago. Thought about selling the 745 to partially fund a Colt GC, but came to my senses, at least for now.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OP, you stole that 745!. I paid over 6 for mine about 3 months ago and felt OK with the deal. It is very accurate but the trigger on mine was a little too heavy so it went to a gunsmith and it is now much better. Still miss the 645 I was talked out of a few years ago. Though about selling the 745 to partially fund a Colt GC, but came to my senses, at least for now.
I had a little machining done where the trigger guard meets the frame. The gunsmith did just a little relieving which enables me to get a higher grip. Now it feels just right. Incidentally this was a change that S&W brought in with the 3rd Generation 4506 and it's various cousins. I'll take a couple photos and post so you can see what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Okay here are recent photos of the 745. Notice that I had just a little bit of a relief cut made where the trigger-guard meets the frame - very similar to what S&W did when it introduced the Third Generation 4506 in 1988. Compare these recent photos with the ones that I took several months ago before I had the work done. I know that some purists would disagree with me, but I plan on keeping this pistol. I like to be able to get a higher grip than I could with the original design. Cost me $85.00 for the machining. I'm happy with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts