Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
The first year 696 with no lock , hammer mounted firing pin , and no MIM parts does command a higher price than later models. If you have the box and papers , even better.
If I had to choose between my 696 or 66-8 it would be a tough call.

·
Registered
30,190 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! Nice revolver. Obvious from the scortched front site that it's ported. Enjoy the new toy. Hopefully a range report to follow soon?

Reactions: jeepnut

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Nice to see something special arrive with you!

·
Registered
409 Posts
While I don't exactly know how "rare" they are, I bought mine as soon as I saw it for sale. I am really fond of the 44 special cartridge, and I liked the idea of a 3" Smith & Wesson big bore revolver. Mine is also a ND, but unfortunately didn't come with a box or any paperwork. It's not ported either, and I didn't know that S&W ported any of them, although I know Taurus ported some of their 445's (a 2" 44 special).

I let myself get talked into selling my Taurus, but that will not happen with the 696. I will add of photo of them side by side when I had both.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The first year 696 with no lock , hammer mounted firing pin , and no MIM parts does command a higher price than later models. If you have the box and papers , even better.
If I had to choose between my 696 or 66-8 it would be a tough call.
Thank you for the information. Unfortunately no box or paperwork but the price tag was too good to pass up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
While I don't exactly know how "rare" they are, I bought mine as soon as I saw it for sale. I am really fond of the 44 special cartridge, and I liked the idea of a 3" Smith & Wesson big bore revolver. Mine is also a ND, but unfortunately didn't come with a box or any paperwork. It's not ported either, and I didn't know that S&W ported any of them, although I know Taurus ported some of their 445's (a 2" 44 special).

I let myself get talked into selling my Taurus, but that will not happen with the 696. I will add of photo of them side by side when I had both.
Thank you. Thank you for showing me yours. Very nice pistols, I like the wood grips on your Smith. I too was talked out of a Taurus a while back, It was a stainless Tracker in 44 mag with a 4 inch ported barrel.

As for the porting on my 696, I believe that it is a Lew Horton special but I have yet to confirm this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts