Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently semi-retired and finding myself with more time to enjoy lifes' leisure-time activities. I've always enjoyed shooting. Now, maybe I'll be doing more of it. I've sold or passed on to my sons, most of my guns, but kept three. One for defense, a S&W 36 "Chiefs Special". One for hunting (if I can ever go again), a Savage 24V in .30-30/20 ga. with red dot. And the last a Ruger 10/.22 Deluxe (scoped) for the little things. All for fun.

We recently bought a small motor home, actually more a motor camper. OK for weekends, but too small for longer living. The wife is retiring her business in May or June so a camping we will go, and not just on weekends either.

We're both native Oregonians. I now have a "Pioneer" hunting and fishing license and with senior discounts in campgrounds, life is getting good.

We live in the country on 1.69 acres surrounded by mostly woods. It's not illegal to shoot here, but not wise. I don't like the noise or whining richochets over my head when my neighbors shoot, so I keep my shooting limited to the occasional mole or squirrel that chews on my house or shop. In that vein, I'm thinking about an indoor range in my 32'x60' metal shop building just for .22 and light target loads in the .38 special. May have to take up reloading the .38 to get that light load. The shop is insulated and with the door shut, it may keep the noise level down to keep the neighbors happy. We'll see.

I maintain a website, http://www.metalsmithpro.com, with all kinds of "stuff" that I'm interested in and the work I do in the shop.

·
Administrator
8,115 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
It sounds like you're entering a very rewarding stage in your life.. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Welcome jack, you will find this forum very additive. As I said before I live right down the street from you. We will have to get together and talk guns. :)

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
Welcome Jack!
Enjoy your time here and enjoy your time more when you're out and about with your wife.
A few years ago I saw a picture of a "silencer" made out of a 55 gal. drum. it had about 15 inch circles cut out of each end and sound absorbing foam glued to the inside. The maker claimed it to be effective even with magnum rifles.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Hi Jack D

A warm Welcome to the forum. welcome01

Visit and post often. hpzl;n;

·
Super Moderator
32,717 Posts
Welcome, Jack! nugfaong welcome01

This is a very fun forum. And enjoy your time of life to relax.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Hello and a hearty welcome, Jack.
Glad you have some time to enjoy life, and also glad you found your way to the forum!
Don
welcome01

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
c pierce said:
Welcome jack, you will find this forum very additive. As I said before I live right down the street from you. We will have to get together and talk guns. :)
Sounds like plan, c pierce

The drum idea sounds like a good one. I've thought about a carpet lined tube of some kind. Wondered if it would work.

Thanks all

1 - 15 of 15 Posts