Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 686 is a sweet shooter. Great gun but there is an issue I think in the heat treat or ? with the trigger? Bought gun new in 2013 and the pics from today, are how it came out of the box then. I have sent QA the pics and look forward to their response.

But what about you folks that have the 686 like mine. Does your trigger look like this?

Thanks

image2.jpeg

image1.jpeg

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
Welcome to the friendly forum. It looks like the mark left by heat treating, no 2 look exactly the same. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
12,057 Posts
The triggers on modern S&W revolvers are MIM (Metal Injection Molded) parts. There is a lot of heat and pressure involved. Some are dark all over, some not dark at all and some a combination. I just looked at 4 of mine and 2 of them looked like yours, one was mostly dark and one didn't have any dark areas. My M60 Pro trigger looks almost the same as the one you pictured on both sides

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
Mine is just like that. It's normal.

Here's a closeup on a wide enhanced ribbed target trigger I have on my 586:

586_Trigger.JPG

Here's one on a 686-3

686-3_Trigger.jpg

Reactions: Cliff

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
My new 686's trigger looks like yours and it is a normal appearance for the revolvers with the MIM (molded) triggers.
TK Customs makes CNC triggers for S&W revolvers. TKC also makes other CNC parts (firing pin, etc.) to replace MIM parts that S&W now uses.
TKC makes the moon clips that S&W includes with their revolvers. I purchased their moon clips and loading tool and unloading tool for use with my 986 -- all of them work very well. Based on my experience and comments/reviews, I would happily exchange the original MIM parts with TKC's CNC parts.
HTH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts