·
Registered
26,151 Posts
Very nice!

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
20,723 Posts
Nice looking magnum, Pete! Do you recall how long it took S&W to modify it? That was 1987 or after...so a long time to remember. Do you hunt with it?

Reactions: Curt360

·
Premium Member
20,723 Posts
The M was stamped by the S&W service department after the recall of 1987 to fix the hammer nose bushing. It was only done for 686 and 686 - 1 models. On the 686 - 1 they also over stamped the - 1.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
8,491 Posts
The M was stamped by the S&W service department after the recall of 1987 to fix the hammer nose bushing. It was only done for 686 and 686 - 1 models. On the 686 - 1 they also over stamped the - 1.
I think the 586 was also under that same factory recall, weren't they?
Regardless, nice revolver!

·
Registered
30,038 Posts
Nice revolver indeed! Beautiful .357 and I bet a joy to shoot! Hope you get that put the range for some needed exercise.

Reactions: PeteC and Mjh

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice looking magnum, Pete! Do you recall how long it took S&W to modify it? That was 1987 or after...so a long time to remember. Do you hunt with it?
I don't even remember sending the gun for repair. I bought it new 12/17/85. I did buy it to hunt with but neve did. It shoots well enough but I was always afraid that the monster buck would show up and I would miss him so i stayed with the rifle. The monster never showed up either!!.

·
Premium Member
13,678 Posts
It's possible that the dealer sent it back at the time of the recall, or that it was modified in stock before S&W shipped it to the dealer. This recall applied to the bushing around the hammer nose and a problem that could happen with use of .357 magnum ammunition.

Here are the details:

Firearm Recalls and Safety Warnings- FirearmsID.com

Revolvers with the "M" marking were corrected by the mother ship.

I have a 586 no dash that has not had this modification. It's the one a very skilled gunsmith turned into a "Pinto" before I bought it used:

I called S&W customer service when I first learned about the recall, but they persuaded me not to send it in as I'd had no problems with it. Today - it's more of a safe queen than anything else...

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
I don't even remember sending the gun for repair. I bought it new 12/17/85.
You didn't have to send it in for repair.

Many of that era came new with the "M" mark already on them. I've had a couple. Nothing unusual.

Reactions: PeteC and mrerick

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
I don't even remember sending the gun for repair. I bought it new 12/17/85. I did buy it to hunt with but neve did. It shoots well enough but I was always afraid that the monster buck would show up and I would miss him so i stayed with the rifle. The monster never showed up either!!.
That's a beautiful old Smith and it sure looks like it would have been up to the task of taking that monster.

I forgot to tell you.......the 686 in the picture above my name came new with the "M" mark, so the one you have might have come the same way. I've had a couple but I forgot that my avatar includes one of them.

Reactions: PeteC
1 - 16 of 16 Posts