Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I now have a 4" 686 and just love it! I've only been shooting for a few years. I started with a Ruger SP101, but didn't like shooting magnum loads in it. Since then, I've mostly been shooting semi-autos. But, I started getting an itch for a beefy revolver cuz I love to shoot .357 magnums! :D

My question is in regards to caring for this beauty. Namely, what is the maximum number of rounds I should put through it in one sitting, and before cleaning? That is, it gets kinda warm and I don't want to stress the metal or anything. Should I worry about that? Should I go slower so that it doesn't heat up?

I generally clean it after every outing, since it gets covered with gun powder. I picked up a few tips from this site, just now. ;)

Thanks for any help,
Dave

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Hey Dave, welcome to the forum!

Thats a tough 686 you have there. It will be too hot to hold and not hurt the gun. In other words it can take more than you can in one sitting. :D

Enjoy it and wipe it down once in awhile it will last a very long time.

·
Registered
10,921 Posts
Yer worryin' to much ;)
When the front sight starts to melt, start to slow down kfjdrfirii
I clean mine after every range session. Get a bore guide, or make one, use quality products {for cleaning and shooting} and you will get decades of service from the 686

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thanks, guys. I feel better now. I just didn't want to find out years from now that I had been abusing it. ;)

Thanks,
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts