Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this gun brand new 7-30-22 . While showing a family member I noticed the rear sight blade has some movement left to right and front to back. Also I noticed that the rear blade is all the way to the right and not center on the gun from the factory. Is this a factory setting or should I reach out the S&W?
Human body Sleeve Toy Grey Metal

·
Premium Member
22,066 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! That's not typical of vintage S&W target revolvers. There should be no movement of the rear sight leaf or blade. I suspect your barrel is canted and they just adjusted the rear sight to eliminate the cant. How accurately does it shoot?

Reactions: Golphin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, this is my first S&W, I tried to adjust the rear sights by turning the windage counterclockwise as instructed by the manual but it didn’t move at all

·
Registered
22,043 Posts
Your sight blade should not be loose, or over to one side. Being new from the factory....this is definitely wrong!!!! Contact S&W Customer Service, and tell them the problem. They should repair the gun for you.

I've always wondered......should you adjust he rear sight by turning the adjustment screw on one side of the sight (which I do, but not a lot), but should you turn the screw on the opposite side in the opposite direction, to 'take up the slack'.....to keep the sight blade 'locked in place'? :unsure: Bob

·
Registered
843 Posts
Try it clockwise and see if it moves. Add a drop of oil. If it’s stuck, contact S&W. My fear is the barrel is canted and instead of the factory fixing it, they just sighted it in with the rear sight all the way over and called it a day. Hopefully that’s not the case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts