Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the debate of the internal lock has been going on for a long time. I don’t like them as much as the next guy but have several J frame with them and never had a problem. Today I purchased a used 686-6 3” classic deluxe for a reasonable price. I got it home and have been messing with it all day. I am concerned because when the gun is held at a 90 degree, straight in the air the trigger locks up. I know you wouldn’t shoot in the air but if you were ever in a combative situation the gun will not fire shooting upside down. Rare chances but I want my gun to not have any doubt when I squeeze. I can physically watch the lock slide up to lock the hammer and it can be pressed down with my fingernail to get the gun back into battery. Any suggestions? Send it back to smith?

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Being a used gun, I strongly suspect the previous
owner or owner before him/her went inside and did
something wrong; perhaps removed it, then put it
back wrong to sell.

Any way, back to the Mother Ship with it.

Or go inside yourself and compledtely remove it.
I believe You Tubes exist on how to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being a used gun, I strongly suspect the previous
owner or owner before him/her went inside and did
something wrong; perhaps removed it, then put it
back wrong to sell.

Any way, back to the Mother Ship with it.

Or go inside yourself and compledtely remove it.
I believe You Tubes exist on how to.
I’ve never sent one in. Are they pretty quick? I know they back them by a lifetime warranty, are they going to try and charge me for a faulty spring or whatever it may be?

·
Registered
12,711 Posts
Pretty sure there should be a spring in there. It shouldn't slide up and down freely. Have you tried locking and unlocking it?
Sweet looking 686

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
There's a spring powered yoke that's not working, sounds like the spring needs replacing. After a similar issue I remove the locks on any gun I'll use for defense, it also reduces to trigger pull by about 1 lb. (less friction to the side of the hammer).

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Tthis is the exact problem that has been encountered in the past with the locks. this is why the locks are so hated by us. You have two options You can not by a kit which removed and enables the lock or send it back to the company for a lock replacement. sorry you have the problem but you have learned the hard way the the Hillary Hole is a farce ..

and probably why the gun was for sale used in the gun store !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty sure there should be a spring in there. It shouldn't slide up and down freely. Have you tried locking and unlocking it?
Sweet looking 686
Yes, I’ve watched several videos and understand how it works. My guess was the spring was stretched or something. The cylinder barely has a turn ring so it’s not been shot much. I did use a key and locked and unlocked it. It locked like it should but continues to wiggle freely when turned upside down. Pretty weird.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tthis is the exact problem that has been encountered in the past with the locks. this is why the locks are so hated by us. You have two options You can not by a kit which removed and enables the lock or send it back to the company for a lock replacement. sorry you have the problem but you have learned the hard way the the Hillary Hole is a farce ..

and probably why the gun was for sale used in the gun store !!!
I bought it off an individual who bought it from a friend of his. Belonged to his dad and he passed away. I talked with the guy for a bit and I really don’t think he knew. He never fired it. Just the way my luck goes!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a spring powered yoke that's not working, sounds like the spring needs replacing. After a similar issue I remove the locks on any gun I'll use for defense, it also reduces to trigger pull by about 1 lb. (less friction to the side of the hammer).
I have seen the kits to plug the hole. Can I just have that stupid lock pulled out of it without doing anything else?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I always take a toothpick and put some silicon caulking under it, to glue it down. Never had a problem with it. I don't care for it, but my guns are shooters anyway. You'll notice some of the memory marks before the ugly lock.

·
Registered
23,200 Posts
I have seen the kits to plug the hole. Can I just have that stupid lock pulled out of it without doing anything else?

Yes, I've done this w/ several of mine. You can just remove the flag or the whole silly thing, I remove it all since the spring & yoke are fragile & I don't like useless parts in my guns. It can be done in minutes.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Jeez .. I have been hearing about the lock and its possible failure for YEARS but never once on all the boards I have read heard it actually fail .... until now!!!

Guess who will be digging into his revolver again! I am going to go for the plug though .. I would hate to get gunk in my gun .. you know when I am belly crawling around Mesa fighting off the Chinese airborne units! :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 686-6 4” that I recently purchased. I’ve not yet fired it. It has been fully polished to a mirror-like sheen. The grips will be replaced with custom-made Kansas Black Walnut ones – hopefully not in the too-distant future. As for the lock – based upon this persons experience with his new-to-him gun – I’ve been trying to get any of our three Smith & Wesson revolvers to malfunction, and so far – no malfunctions to report. Now, I’m just hopeful that this scenario will continue with our revolvers. Regards . . . Thx.

·
Registered
17,550 Posts
Well all of mine with Internal Locks have lost them. And like Injunbro said, the triggers get smoother and easier. Never gave them a chance to fail and like the trigger improvement.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts