Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to put my serrated trigger in today. The only problem, is the hand torsion spring seems to be too short.
The spring does sit on the hand. However, if the hand moves any useful amont, then no more.
Everything else appears to work fine from what I can tell thus far. Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Make sure you have the torsion spring oriented correctly. There's a video on YouTube, I Believe by Midway USA, that shows how to put that spring in.

Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Make sure you have the torsion spring oriented correctly. There's a video on YouTube, I Believe by Midway USA, that shows how to put that spring in.

Guy
Apologies, as I probably should have specified the serrated trigger is not MIM. It's an older forged style.
I did find an installation diagram that shows the proper orientation:
I've put the hand spring back in the original MIM trigger many times just fine. I even did it just to make sure I'm not crazy, and it seems to sit a bit farther back with much more spring on the hand.

Brownells, Midway USA and Numrich all stock "MIM only" replacement springs. Did S&W change the spring?

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
The triggers in the K / L / N frames are interchangeable for most model-marked revolvers within the forged or Mim units. So what you're probably going to have to do is go to numrich and look for torsion spring for a model 27 28 29, Etc. That looks like your trigger. Apparently the MIM units are slightly different than the forged.

Guy

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
I don't know. I've never been in your situation where I've needed to replace an MIM part with forged. If you have an older Smith & Wesson K or N frame gun, take the trigger out and measure the torsion spring. Or maybe someone that's monitoring this thread has an answer.

Guy

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
I probably should have done this from the beginning. This is an excerpt from Kuhnhausen's The S&W Revolver Shop Manual. If this is how you are install the spring, I guess the sizes changed when MIM came in. However, Kuhnhausen does not contrast the early, forged from the MIM and makes no mention of the springs being different. He goes on later to say use a small punch to push up the spring torsion arm (long end) to above the crescent slot and slide the torque pin on the hand under it.

Text Design Newsprint Paper Pattern

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
I should have referred you to our FAQ which is a sticky post at the top of this forum: here. The MIM spring is different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts