Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 686-5 7 shot with a 7" barrel with a fluted cylinder. It's not the Talo unfluted cylinder gun that comes with a 7" barrel. I can't find any information on this gun other than the serial number shows it was built around 12/99. Does anyone have any information on this oddball?

Thank you

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
The 686 Plus began production in 1996. Stainless fluted cylinder 7 shot came in 2.5 4 or 6 inch barrels. Seven inch barrels were never made by Smith Wesson. 8 3/8 barrels were never put on the 686 plus guns. Your gun should have square butt and sport synthetic or Hogue Rubber grips. The Gun was standard production. Most of these guns ended up in the custom shop for other type work.

Re measure your barrel

·
Registered
129 Posts
The 686 Plus began production in 1996. Stainless fluted cylinder 7 shot came in 2.5 4 or 6 inch barrels. Seven inch barrels were never made by Smith Wesson. 8 3/8 barrels were never put on the 686 plus guns. Your gun should have square butt and sport synthetic or Hogue Rubber grips. The Gun was standard production. Most of these guns ended up in the custom shop for other type work.

Re measure your barrel
Your assertions are incorrect--There were at least TWO "Runs" of 686's with Seven-inch Barrels that are documented on Page 272 of the Third Edition of the SCSW...In addition, ALL 686-5's that I have seen have the ROUND-BUTT Frame...Furthermore, there WERE at least two uncatalogged "Runs" of the 686 Plus made with Seven-inch Barrels PRIOR TO the most recent production as ordered by Talo Distributors--I have posted a Pic of one such Gun previously on here--Somewhere, I have a COPY of the Jinks' Letter that came with my example, and I will try to dig it up in the next few days, but IIRC, the Guns were made for Oshman's in Texas, with somewhere between 67 & 300 made--HTH....mikey357

·
Registered
5,432 Posts
Yep you are right .. I stand Corrected. I was under the impression that 7 inch barrel 686's did not go into production until late 2000. But you are correct that they began with the 686-5 models. My factory manual does not reflect that. My apologies to Jfarensen for misleading you it was not intentional. But brings to light why this forum is here .. That is to educate.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for your input. I was worried that this might be a Frankenstein gun but it sounds like S&W built it this way. I have a 686-5 4" that I really like so I thought it would be nice the have the longer barrel higher capacity version. I think I will like this one also.

My favorite guns seem to be my stainless Smiths although a Governor I recently purchased has been fun also.
629-1 8 3/8"
60-9 2 1/8"
617-? 6"
Plus my 2 686s.

Thanks again to all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not to hijack your thread but I picked this same gun up not long ago and also have had no luck getting real info on it. Have you made any progress or found out anything else? Maybe mikey357 found that letter?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,152 Posts
Hey 4,

Welcome to S&W.

Merry Christmas.

Later, Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts