Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
forum friends,
i picked up up like new 686+ 7 shot mountain gun gun is mint condition.
i am haveing a hard time trying to find any info on this gun. if anyone has any info on production numbers made, approximate current price, etc
i sure would appreciate it. i can find plentyof info on the other caliber mountain guns, but not much on this 686 mountain gun
thanks in advance for any advice friends

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
This is the hardest to find of all of the Pre-Lock Smiths in the "Mountain Gun" Series.

Being an L-Frame it's pretty rugged but a little heavier than a K-Frame, but the tapered barrel helps counterbalance it's weight.

These are tough to find and pricey when located.

Congratulations on a scare find!

Post a serial number range and we can date it for you...

Drew

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DREW
WILL DO. it says mountain gun on the right side 357 magnum left side 7 shot, 5 inch barrel. i think it might be a dash 5. i know its a prelock. i guess thats why i could find no info on it if there were not many made
thanks friend

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Twomoons, you're right about a limited number being made. I believe the 357 Mountain Gun was what they call a Stocking Dealer Special. If your gun has a 5 inch barrel, that may be extra rare, becase the 357 Mountain Guns I have seen were all 4 inch tapered barrels and are 686-5. I do know that S&W made some 686's in 5 inch barrel lengths in both dash 5 and dash 6; I believe those were both limited edition Stocking Dealer Specials also, as both had Hi-Viz sights, the dash 5 having a barrel underlug and the dash 6 did not have the underlug. So if you have a dash 5 Mountain Gun with a 5 inch tapered barrel, you have a rare and special Smith from what information I have seen. A great find, enjoy!

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
-5 makes it a post 1998 gun... Hmmmm.... the 104200 "Mountain Guns" were from that year, but were 4" guns.... is this a Keylock Smith?

Did you get the serial number?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DREW I DID NOT, I SHOULD HAVE
THERE WERE ABOUT 10 GUYS AHEAD OF ME, SO I LEFT HOPE TO THIS AFTERNOON
THANKS FIEND, MY INTEREST IS GETTING PEAKED ALSO
STEVE

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
drew,
i have to apologize. the barrel is 4 inches.
686-5 7 shot. gun looks new, locks up tight. was a safe queen.has no box. but gun is an easy 98 to 99% like new.
can i ask what you think the value might be drew.
a ballpark.price. sorry about the wrong info on barrel. i should have measured it. thanks for any advice
steve

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
If this is a pre-lock, all correct, real deal 686 "Mountain Gun"; 104200 product code, my sense would be that the Retail Price should be around $825 for an very good to excellent example. Wholesale would be around $650. Subtract $50 because the box is missing....

Just my view.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
forum i dont take the best pics.
the gun is like new as far as recoil shield, no flame cutting on top strap.
if i could get 699 plus shipping gun is for sale in the classifieds for pics
we will see. i will take more pics saturday of the the top strap and recoil sheild.
etc
thanks drew.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Pretty fair gun... tough to find. If I collected the Modern Issues I'd be all over this one.... Glad you got it?

Drew

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
drew
yes it it is. sorry for the crappy pics, thanks or your advice again
. if i did not have such big hospital bills to pay i would never sell its that nice and smooth..
i will email you later drew

1 - 20 of 22 Posts