Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,231 Posts
Very nice, and a cool variant of the 686. Another member here, Triplelock, who hasn't posted in a while had a 4 inch midnight black 686 which if you dig around you may still find on here somewhere.

·
Registered
19,639 Posts
I have an old M-10-7 2" (from around the 1980 era) that has a glossy Black finish....not dark blue......like you would expect! I never saw anything 'special' mentioned in the 4th Ed. of the S&W Catalog. Wasn't that the years when they were having pollution problems with city Waste Water Plant because of the Bluing Process???? Bob

·
Registered
9,082 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is really nice Rule3. Mine new to me as the pictures show has some wear and it needs to be cleaned. I am always amazed when I buy a gun and it is dirty. I am just excited to own one because I saw a picture awhile ago and thought how cool is that. You definitely have a beauty

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
So go and fire it, and give us a range report mate...:) you know you want to..:)

Thewelshm
Nope. In the case of these Midnights, firing them wrecks the value more so than regular finished guns. I have some safe queens that have been fired but not this one.
The Midnight finish was SW attempt at a "Tenifer" type finish and do not really work out very well.

You can buy it and shoot it all you want to.:D

·
Registered
194 Posts
The finish was not very durable. My nib one was worn when shipped. Sent it back to S&W and they replaced it with a regular 686. They said they had discontinued the finish due to customer complaints with durability.

·
Registered
10,340 Posts
Well I've learned something today, I'd never heard of, nor have I previously seen a 686 that didn't come with the normal stainless finish! Interesting item. What was the logic behind it unless the blued 586 models were no longer available?

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Well I've learned something today, I'd never heard of, nor have I previously seen a 686 that didn't come with the normal stainless finish! Interesting item. What was the logic behind it unless the blued 586 models were no longer available?
SW was trying to be like Glock and others and put a super duper finish on the gun rather than bluing it.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just thought it was a unique and cool revolver. Only paid $850 for it which is probably market value, so not a great deal but I think fair for me and the seller. Now I own a no dash,-1 and -3. I guess I need to fill in the blanks. Maybe a 2.5 round butt-2 , a seven shot -4, a 8 3/8 -5, a 5" -5 and 3" -6

1 - 16 of 16 Posts