Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 686 needed a replacement rear sight assembly, old style. Located one with OEM .146 sight blade. This height, I was told by S&W for my 686 w/6" barrel was correct to my gun. Installed and off to range. 30' on sand bags, factory ammo in 357 mag. Shot way low and made adjust by dialing elevation sight screw up. See pix and u can see I am about to the limit before I run out of threads n sight flies apart. Still shoots a bit low at this adjust. Am confident front sight is factory. Aware there is a .160 blade avail and would prob solve my problem but WHY is factory .146 have to be dialed so far up!!! Thought I might be few clicks up from bottom with the .146 but not to where I am about out of threads! Semper Paratus

Attachments

·
Registered
351 Posts
I have a 4” 686, and I also had a problem with the sights. The “gap” of the rear sight was actually “filled” with the width of the front one (the factory-installed red-ramp sight). I got 2 sights with my 460V – I modified one by making it “U-shaped”, and then I applied white paint to the newly created “U-shaped” notch. For the 686, I took the other one, and filed the squared notch wider so I could see some “environment” on each side of the front sight. I then applied some white paint to the new wider notch. All’s good – so far. Now I’m dealing with trying to see that red insert. I painted it gold, and that’s alot better, but the reflection’s an issue in the sunlight, so I’m back to wanting a Mcgivern-style gold-bead front sight. Regards . . .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thinking if the new higher sight blade .160 vs .146 does not raise my POA I would install a shorter/lower front sight. My current/stock one is .125 wide and .250 high. This is a pinned sight for my 686-0. Scarce to say least.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts