Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! SS can be blued. But, I have doubts that S&W did that. Are the hammer and trigger blued? They are pretty dark in your picture. But, to answer your question, yes they blued an order of guns for the Connecticut State Police which will have CSP stamped on the backstrap. They also produced several versions with SS body with blued cylinders. It is just not typical of S&W to blue the hammer and trigger. But if they are going for stealth...no reflection...then they might have done it for a special order. Your gun looks really good for a factory finish. If it was done outside the factory, they did an excellent job. The only way to know for sure is an Historian's letter of authenticity.

·
Registered
30,190 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. When I first saw the pic of the 66-3 I thought " that's a model 19" as I have never seen a blued 66. Yours looks great but I question the finish. Congrats on the purchase...the 3" barrel revolvers are bringing premium $$$ now days. Hope you post a range report soon to let us know how it functions for you.

·
Registered
26,391 Posts
Very nice! LGS has the SS 66-3 3" in its case. I'd buy it $750, but thay have a "1" in front of the 7

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome to the forums from the Wiregrass! SS can be blued. But, I have doubts that S&W did that. Are the hammer and trigger blued? They are pretty dark in your picture. But, to answer your question, yes they blued an order of guns for the Connecticut State Police which will have CSP stamped on the backstrap. They also produced several versions with SS body with blued cylinders. It is just not typical of S&W to blue the hammer and trigger. But if they are going for stealth...no reflection...then they might have done it for a special order. Your gun looks really good for a factory finish. If it was done outside the factory, they did an excellent job. The only way to know for sure is an Historian's letter of authenticity.
Yes, the hammer and trigger are blued, and I don't see any letters or markings on the backstrap. I have sent for a Letter of Authenticity from the S&WHF but I understand it may take 2 to 3 months for a response.
Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The blued version is a model 19. I didnt think you could blue stainless steel though.
I did not thing you could either. They did offer a finish on some of the model 686's that was called "Midnight Black". The only other options I can think of would be a blued stainless 66, or a model 19 that was marked as a 66.

·
Premium Member
20,759 Posts
Here is a picture from the Blue Forum of the "blue" Connecticut State Police Model 66. S&W made 800 of them for the CSP. Those were stamped CSPxxxx. It looks a lot like Monyman's M66. It is certainly possible that S&W got a special order that didn't go to the CSP. The letter will say for sure. With Christmas, I suspect 3 months delay is likely...maybe more.

·
Premium Member
13,722 Posts
There is a process for blackening stainless steel. I've used it on M1 Garand gas cylinders, which are stainless steel.

The EPI process is the one I have used:

Reactions: Wiregrassguy

·
Registered
5,969 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can a blued stainless gun be restored to the original condition? The OP’s gun looks great, but with 3” stainless 66 prices being what they are, going back to original condition might be worth the trouble and cost.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can a blued stainless gun be restored to the original condition? The OP’s gun looks great, but with 3” stainless 66 prices being what they are, going back to original condition might be worth the trouble and cost.
It has the old school appearance of a blued revolver but the maintenance characteristics of a stainless steel revolver. The finish in appearance looks like a model 19. I was under the impression that stainless steel would not blue this well. I do have one local collector that is convinced that it is a model 19 that was miss-marked at the S&W factory.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts