Smith And Wesson Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to this forum and recently began acquiring hand guns.
I have an opportunity to purchase a 66-1.
This gun has a full underlug barrel.
I was not aware that this model came this way .I have only seen them with a half underlug. I guess my question is - Did the model 66-1 come with a full underlug barrel. Note: it is a 6 inch barreled 66-1, 357magnum.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
The 6 inch barrel was introduced in 1978 as a 66-1 but it wasn’t a full lug. The 6 inch barrel was only available as a special order but I suppose it could be factory but the S&W book does not indicate that. A picture would be nice if you could get one.

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,963 Posts
Oh man I love that!

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I agree with Leo918............686 barrel

What with the pinned barrel and what appears to be a recessed cylinder....

The barrel roll marks are all wrong for a 66-1 vintage.

Or it could jest be a lunch pail revolver.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seller claims not rebarreled.
Could it be original from factory this way?
If so how would it affect the value?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Seems pretty unusual. I suppose it’s possible one was made before they introduced the 686. There are several odd ball guns. Probably the only way to know for sure would be to have it lettered. If it’s a one off it could be pretty valuable. If it’s a re barrel probably less the 66-1 or a 686. If it were me I’d err on the side of caution. If the price seems really good I’d expect a rebarrel.

·
Registered
13,474 Posts
I have never heard of a 66 with a full lug barrel, and that barrel looks just like a 686 barrel. If that was done as a factory special it would be pretty much a 1 of a kind and would be priced accordingly. Unless you personally know the seller and their character I would take what he says with a grain of salt. upon closer examination of the pictures, I see that the barrel is pinned and it looks like the cylinder is recessed. The 686 never had either of these features. I don't know if you can put a newer styled non-pinned barrel into a frame made for a pinned barrel. The 66-1 ran from 1977 until the dash 2 came out in 1982. A very late dash 1 would have been in the factory about the same time as the first 686's were being produced. If the serial number is very late in the dash 1 series, I suppose its possible it was made that way. If its serial number is from 77 to about 1979, I would say there is no chance it is factory original, because they would not have had any full lug stainless barrels, and I doubt they would design, test and manufacture a whole new barrel just for a gun or 2 Is there a box included that would be marked in a manner to denote a special order? If not, the only way to find out for sure is a factory letter from the Historical foundation. If I were the seller, I would want that to prove the original configuration and so I could get top dollar for a one of a kind factory special made gun

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
An L-frame barrel would not fit right on a K-frame, if it fits at all. I'm betting the gun pictured is actually an L-frame model 686.

How about some pictures, with clarity, especially inside the yoke where the typical model stamping and serial number would be?

·
Registered
13,474 Posts
An L-frame barrel would not fit right on a K-frame, if it fits at all. I'm betting the gun pictured is actually an L-frame model 686.

How about some pictures, with clarity, especially inside the yoke where the typical model stamping and serial number would be?
Pictures are clear enough to tell that its pinned and recessed. The 686 never had either feature. Also the front sight is pinned. The front sight on the first 3 or 4 versions of the 686 was forged as part of the barrel. That looks like the barrel and front sight on my newer 686-6 I suspect a photoshopped image possibly

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, I dont have access to the gun now due to the social distancing thing.
Those are the only pics I have.
The serial number is 55KXXXX if that helps at all.
Thanks

·
Registered
286 Posts
Seller claims not rebarreled.
Could it be original from factory this way?
If so how would it affect the value?
No, the 686 models were produced WAY after the model 66-1's were produced. I'm sure you have a "Frankin" gun. As so many collectors have suggested, "believe the gun not the story."

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The gun is part of an estate sale.
The owner has passed and there is no paperwork therefore no way to validate the authenticity.
I appreciate everyone's input and value the opinions given.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Steelevette,

If you like the revolver, as is...And a satisfactory deal can be made.
It's just an unusual shooter and could be an accurate son of a gun.

I've been turn the screws on revolvers for neigh on fifty years and have saw a lot of customizing.

Several on the forum here, can probably remembers when the Smolts were fashionable...

File Photo

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Steelevette,

If you like the revolver, as is...And a satisfactory deal can be made.
It's just an unusual shooter and could be an accurate son of a gun.

I've been turn the screws on revolvers for neigh on fifty years and have saw a lot of customizing.

Several on the forum here, can probably remembers when the Smolts were fashionable...

File Photo

I remember those. Several of my competitors used them in PPC. Luckily they were not skilled marksmen!

Kevin

1 - 20 of 45 Posts