Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my father asked me to look at his 65-1 357. I will preface this by saying I don't know much at all about revolvers but am pretty good at finding answers. Supposedly someone did something that lightened the trigger in single action to an unsafe weight. Honestly, the trigger feels great to me in double and single action however he would like a heavier pull when the hammer is back. I ordered a "used" rebound spring from numrich because I had read sometimes people will clip those to lighten the trigger. However, it looked unused and identical to the one in the gun. At this point my only guess would be to swap the hammer and trigger and see if it makes a difference.

Do any of you have any insight on how I can increase the pull weight when the hammer is back? Knowing that I have already replaced the rebound spring do you think replacing the hammer and trigger would make a difference? I have looked at replacement hammers and it looks like there are different sizes..... .265 .375 etc. I imagine that only applies to the shape of the hammer spur and they will all fit, is that correct? Is there anything I need to know about swapping parts out on this? Will any of it affect the timing of the cylinder or anything like that? I appreciate your insight.

· Registered
595 Posts
M65-1's were made from 1972 until 1977. There is no M65 "no dash", so yours is a first series revolver of that model. There was a lot of hand fitting on guns of that era, and the SA pull is fairly light and very crisp. You need to measure the trigger pull with a gauge and report your findings, to really know whether it is too light or just a really nice trigger. The DA pull will be substantially heavier which can make the SA pull seem overly light. One thing in particular to check. Take the unloaded gun, pull the hammer back to SA cock, and with the gun gripped like you are going to shoot it but finger off the trigger entirely, push forward on the hammer spur with moderate pressure with your offhand thumb. If the hammer falls with moderate pressure (5 lb. or so) or less, it is unsafe and should be looked at by a gunsmith, a good one can recut the sear notch and restore it to safe condition, or you can replace the hammer. This test is called "push-off", and if it fails do not shoot the gun.

Also, check the strain screw at the bottom front of the grip frame (see pic below). If the gun has target stocks you'll have to remove them to check it. Ensure it is screwed in as far as it will go and is snug. It will sometimes work loose, and some people will back it out trying to lighten the trigger pull, but it is an incorrect method.

The M65 was my issue sidearm when I was a Correctional Officer back in the late 1970's- early 1980's. A nice gun, wish I had one in my collection to go with my M66-1
Sleeve Wood Handgun holster Automotive exterior Font

· Registered
18,123 Posts
Fixing it depends on what was done to lighten the pull. Someone may have stoned the sear surface too much which would require a new hammer and trigger. The round spring was a good guess though.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I went by a gunsmith and had them check the trigger pull with a gauge.....I am not sure if changing the rebound spring out made the difference and I just couldn't feel it but at this point it is at a normal pull 3lb SA 10lb DA. I don't want to attempt to swap back to the old one and see if that was what caused it because I don't have the rebound spring tool and it was a pain to get it swapped out. I did press forward on the hammer really hard and it is not falling so I would say it is safe. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.

· Registered
42,106 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

· Registered
18,123 Posts
So I went by a gunsmith and had them check the trigger pull with a gauge.....I am not sure if changing the rebound spring out made the difference and I just couldn't feel it but at this point it is at a normal pull 3lb SA 10lb DA. I don't want to attempt to swap back to the old one and see if that was what caused it because I don't have the rebound spring tool and it was a pain to get it swapped out. I did press forward on the hammer really hard and it is not falling so I would say it is safe. Thanks again for all of your help and suggestions.
Those are average trigger pull weights now so you should be good to go

1 - 11 of 11 Posts