Smith And Wesson Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to ask this question without catching the obvious heat and response of "don't do it". Been searching the forums for info on a 649-4 I have, but not much out there that seems to address my question. My 649 has the 2.16" barrel and is stamped .38 S. & W. SPL. Serial # CCD47xx. However, the cylinder chambers 357 mag and closes with more than sufficient space to close the cylinder. The guy that owned the pistol before me said he routinely shot 357 mag in it. He says he contacted S&W about the cylinder/barrel/model questions and said they agreed he could shoot 357 mag if the round would fit. Does this story make sense and does anyone else have a 649-4 with a cylinder that will close with a 357 mag chambered? Also, first post. Thanks for any feedback.

· Registered
5,497 Posts
The 649 as produced in both .357 Mag and .38 special Rated for Plus P Most of the .357 magnum versions were made in 1998 A few of the guns made at the end of 1997 to 1998 did have .38 special stamped on the barrel. They are ssfe to shoot with .357 BUT !!! I would not make a steady diet of shooting it with them as timing may be effected. The magnum guns had Uncle Mikes rubber Combat Grips .. They began prodiction on the 649 series ni 1986

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.